Homelite 330 Chain Brake Info Needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just picked up a clean Homelite 330. Would be nice to have the chain brake off of a 330SL.

From the photo's and schematics I've found, I have not been able to determine if I need to have the right side cover(sprocket cover) off of the SL model to install the chain brake assembly on my saw, or if I can use my existing right side cover.
Also don't know if I'll need the clutch, clutch drum, and sprocket from the SL.

I know I'll need the top cover, handgaurd with lever, brake band, and brake band screw to convert mine.
Just not sure if I'll need the other above mentioned items.
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge and experience with this issue?

As a side note, this saw doesn't seem as chinsy and poorly made as some people suggest. Sure the top cover is plastic, but the rest seems to be magnesium. Construction seems hefty, and controls are well laid out. Can't wait to fix the carb boot, try it out in wood, and post some action photo's. :D

This saw, and both of its guide bars and chains are in remarkably clean condition. I acquired all of it from the original owner.
He doesn't appear to have used it very much. The fellow lived in the same small suburban house since the 60's, and has a 1 acre yard.
Not sure if this is an early saw or not.

Still can't tell from Leon's 330SL diagram if I can utilize my existing right side cover or clutch drum when converting it to a chain brake model. The part numbers are not confirming anything.
Undee70ss thanks for the great link.

F6350090-8F58-4B37-B6EF-BC3BFD6D097C.png
Still can't tell from Leon's 330SL diagram if I can utilize my existing right side cover or clutch drum when converting it to a chain brake model. The part numbers are not confirming anything.
Undee70ss thanks for the great link.
Covers are the same. If clutch drum is original, it’s also the same. The only parts needed for a brake are here.

What I need to do is replace the spark plug boot, carb kit, fuel line, fuel filter, run a compression test, sharpen chain, and start it up.
If I like how it performs in wood, I'll proceed to the next step of gathering the brake parts.

I moved up to the 360 Homey. Seems to handle longer bar better than 330.. I've seen & owned (4) 330's and haven't seen a brake on any of them. Fact is I only own one saw that has a brake.. My view is, carb boot? Yes...brake? Naaa. And get 2 or 3 boots.. If you use the saw consistently you'll be replacing them every other year.

And I agree.. It's been kinda a race to see which wear out first.. I can preach, but following my advice is a difficult chore.. I'm terrible on maintenance

Jeepers Beetlejuice, I thought the intake boots lasted considerably longer than a couple of years with regular use. I thought maybe ten years with regular use.
Not to hi-jack my own thread, but do all of the Homelites with intake boots (330, 350, 360, 450, 550, 650, and 750) go through intake boots this rapidly?

Jeepers Beetlejuice, I thought the intake boots lasted considerably longer than a couple of years with regular use. I thought maybe ten years with regular use.
Not to hi-jack my own thread, but do all of the Homelites with intake boots (330, 350, 360, 450, 550, 650, and 750) go through intake boots this rapidly?
The boots wear out faster if the anti vibration mounts are bad. They will last a long time with tight A/V mounts.

Latest posts

Back