Homelite 330 help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It was a good weekend for finding saws.

I picked up (among others) a Homie 330 with what I believe to be bad crank seals. I looked up the IPL and found that the crank seals are out board of everything else on the crankshaft and Im wondering if its possable to remove/replace them without splitting the cases

This saw splits along the crank vs splitting in half and sliding off of the ends of the crank.

Does anyone know if this is possable?

RaisedByWolves said:
Im wondering if its possable to remove/replace them without splitting the cases

Don't know specifically about the 330, but I've never had to split a case to change crank seals. I remember doing the 360 Homelite. That was a piece of cake. Now a horizontally split case like yours or a homeowner Stihl, might require that. I'd certainly hope not.

Chris B.

Last edited:
I expected to find something other than what I found when I took the top off of this Mike as the saw is very clean and dosent seem to have seen much use. Ie that this saw has a carb boot, loose carb, gremlin toying with the throttle.

But the carb sits on a rubber gasket that that sits on the "Carburator chamber plate". LOL This is above the reed cage and dosent seem to have a purpose other than keeping the air going through the air filter.

I tried the impulse line (loose fit) and the fuel line (also loose) and got the saw to calm down a bit, but every now and then it just starts screaming with the throttle closed.

Some day when I have time Ill dig around the carb some more and see if theres an issue there, as it did calm down a bit after I tightened it down.

But if I cant find anything its seal time.

HAH! Just Schooled myself!

After going back to the IPL for the 4th time, this time to look for the P/N of the reeds, I found that this saw does have a carby boot thing!

I may even have one in my box!:rockn:

Seals

If you need to replace the crankcase seals,it is best to break the saw in half as they are compressed between the halves.the boot is not a problem.But check that it is not cracked or hard and brittle.If it is,it will appear to seal but vibrations from a running saw will cause it not to be pliable enough to maintain a good seal.Also make sure it is not rotting.This can be determined by sqeezing it and letting go.If it returns to its original shape quickly then it is good.If not,it will appear to slowly return to it's original shape.Plus it will leave a black residue on your fingers:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back