Homelite 330

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iaff113

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my 330 started self choking it's self this morning. Carb is adjusted and the choke knob keeps moving slowly back to half choke. Anyone ever have this happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 330 I've never looked at. My cousin got it at an auction for 50 cents and gave it to me. If it runs good, other than the choke working out, I'd get a small spring from Ace to hold it open. Which Frederick are you from, I'm Frederick, MD, Joe.

Yeah I'm right outside of Frederick on Braddock mountain

Had the same thing happen with a dolmar. There are detents on the choke shaft and a ball and spring holding tension on them. In my case the choke shaft had worn between the detents allowing The choke to gradually apply itself under vibration.

Don't know about your 330 for sure but check for wear on the choke shaft.

Had the same thing happen with a dolmar. There are detents on the choke shaft and a ball and spring holding tension on them. In my case the choke shaft had worn between the detents allowing The choke to gradually apply itself under vibration.

Don't know about your 330 for sure but check for wear on the choke shaft.

Ok yeah I planed on pulling it apart this week to see what I find

Cool I do a lot of waterfowl hunting out your way out towards Westminster

I built my wood roads back in 1983-1985 with a brand new 330.Don't think I could bring myself to use it after using my 372xp

Don't think I could bring myself to use it after using my 372xp[/QUOTE]

That's why I said I have one that I've never used. I collect old Homelites, because when my Dad was in business back in the 70's, Homelites were one of the best saws out there, and that's what we used. One of these days I'll get the 330 running, but it'll be like all of the XL12's. The only old Homelites that I have that are real user friendly are the XL700 and XL923 and 924. Not too heavy, rev high, with some anti vibe. I used my two Super 1050's to mill with for several years, but with no compression release, if they popped back, they would rip your fingers off. For just cutting your own firewood, the old saws are fine, and fun to play with. Since I got my Stihl 660 I haven't even started one of the big old Homelites. It's lighter, quieter, smoother. But that's all off topic. I still look for big old Homelites, especially 90 CC and up, Joe.

Latest posts

Back