Homelite 650 Super Parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck1278

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been looking for parts for a 650 super that I just picked up. There are parts from the 650, the 650 super, and the 750 that are interchangeable, what would be parts from the regular 650, and the 750 that would not work on the 650 super? I have done some researching on the super, but can someone shed some light on the differences between the regular 650 and the super?

Short of having the saws sitting in front of you to compare, the next best thing is to look at the IPLs. There's actually 2 flavors of 650 prior to the Super 650. The first had only an auto oiler and it had a flow adjustment mounted on top of the tank. There's tons of parts that evolved in the series.

One of the most outwardly noticable diffs between the Super and "plain" 650s was the addition of the extra (5th) anti-vibe buffer on the clutch side. This means the fuel/oil tank housing and the drive case housing are different. The lower brace (the one that always breaks) was beefed up too. This was strengthened yet again with the 750. The WB-2 carb and the piston/cylinder was the same on 650s and Super 650s, but the crankshaft, bearings and other internal parts were changed. Actually, the cylinder on the Super 650 may have been drilled for larger muffler bolts, can't remember for sure. Again, best way is to get the IPLs and look.

Dan

Short of having the saws sitting in front of you to compare, the next best thing is to look at the IPLs. There's actually 2 flavors of 650 prior to the Super 650. The first had only an auto oiler and it had a flow adjustment mounted on top of the tank. There's tons of parts that evolved in the series.

One of the most outwardly noticable diffs between the Super and "plain" 650s was the addition of the extra (5th) anti-vibe buffer on the clutch side. This means the fuel/oil tank housing and the drive case housing are different. The lower brace (the one that always breaks) was beefed up too. This was strengthened yet again with the 750. The WB-2 carb and the piston/cylinder was the same on 650s and Super 650s, but the crankshaft, bearings and other internal parts were changed. Actually, the cylinder on the Super 650 may have been drilled for larger muffler bolts, can't remember for sure. Again, best way is to get the IPLs and look.

Dan

This is all true and the extra AV bushing is the most easy difference to notice. Crankshaft bearings on Super 650 were larger. Also interestingly enough is that the carb on the 650/Super650 had a slightly larger venturi than the one on the 750's. I was talking to Wayne Sutton about them once ( he has been to several of the Tournament of Kings races where the 750's ruled for a while) and he was saying that the hot set up was a 650 carb on a 750. I tried this with the non-choke version of the WB2 650 carb and it did make for a particularly strong 750.

From a post made long ago on another forum far far away from AS, here's a couple pics to show the diff between the 2 carbs. First is the larger venturi WB-2 used on all 650 variants.
attachment.php

... and secondly, here's the smaller venturi WB-9 used on all 750s:
attachment.php

Still a mystery why Homelite upgraded the carb for the 750. Maybe the EPA was already taking the fun out of saws in the late 70s.

Dan

From a post made long ago on another forum far far away from AS, here's a couple pics to show the diff between the 2 carbs. First is the larger venturi WB-2 used on all 650 variants.
attachment.php

... and secondly, here's the smaller venturi WB-9 used on all 750s:
attachment.php

Still a mystery why Homelite upgraded the carb for the 750. Maybe the EPA was already taking the fun out of saws in the late 70s.

Dan

Yes, yes and yes.

Everything around the carbs is exactly the same between the 650 and 750 saws (carb box/handle, throttle/choke linkage, impulse line, etc) so it should be a straight swap. Looking at the two pictured carbs, I do see that the WB2 looks to have a different fuel line barb. Did the 650 use a different size line than the 750? The 750's I've worked on all had the same barb as the WB9 in the bottom picture. I also see that the breather tube on the WB9 metering chamber cover isn't present on the pictured WB2. It'd be a simple matter to swap the cover from the WB9 onto the WB2 (or plug the hole for the tube/gromet in the 750's carb chamber cover plate if somebody wanted to do it that way).

Last edited:
homelite 650 valve compression release

Im searching for a valve compression release for the 650. Part number 12712. If you can help let me know.
Thanks
Keith

Latest posts

Back