homelite c7

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pafire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello All I am currently working on an older Homelite c7 with a tilloston HL 141B carburetor. When I first received this saw it would not throttle up from idle without playing with the trigger. Tried to adjust the mixture screws with no change. Purchased and installed a new carb kit with the same results. Now the saw will rev up and die (to what I think is lack of fuel). The saw will start and idle fine. Also there is no response when adjusting the fuel mixture screws. I am looking for suggestions.

All
The points and condenser are new. How would one check if the condenser is good, also I set the points @ .018. The saw has a good blue spark when turning it over with the plug out.

Kinda hard to check a condenser with normal tools like an ohmmeter. You can check to see if it's open or shorted though. At the factory where I used to work they had a capacitor tester that could tell us if a capacitor was in value but it would be too expensive for us.

You can test a capacitor better if you have an analog meter, just put the leads on the terminals of the capacitor and quickly reverse the leads and the meter hand should go up rapidly or "flash". That tells you it works but doesn't tell you if the capacitor is off value, meaning it might be larger or smaller than the specified capacity...If yours are new they should be all right..

Digital capacitance checkers are cheap now, less than $20 to your front door.

Also come in handy for general HVAC work on your home cooling units ...fleabay has them.

Kinda hard to check a condenser with normal tools like an ohmmeter. You can check to see if it's open or shorted though. At the factory where I used to work they had a capacitor tester that could tell us if a capacitor was in value but it would be too expensive for us.

When you did the rebuild did you remove the welch plug? Also did you set the needle height? May be obvious questions but gotta ask.
Jason Yes I did remove the welch plug and it was clean and the holes into the carb were open. The lever for the needle is set at level.

I have yet to work on one of those old HL carburetors. Just looking at the IPL they look a little more complicated than a modern carburetor. Looks like it has a main jet, idle jet plus high and low adj. The lack of difference that playing with the high low made leads me back to where you started. Capacitor is cheap enough to throw at the problem. Also the flywheel could have moved, compression might be low or air leak. You said you set the points at .018 was that according to the service manual?

If the saw starts and idles...i doubt compression is the problem. Do check the reed cage i have seen them problematic on these saws.. I am assuming gasket between carb and intake is not blocking vacum port.. Are you using aftermarket carb kit ? Did the diaphram and gasket go in the right order? The gasket will set the proper diaphrapm height.
Few things to look at. Scott

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Back