Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ez

sneak pic of my org ez under restoration -------http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/husaberg501/?action=view&current=DSC06735.jpg

I've had several opportunities to buy Skil saws at the local flea market but didn't want to branch into another brand. I have about all I can handle with just 3 or 4 kinds. I never really gave them a close look to see what model they were. The wife's planning to go with me to the next one so I probably won't be buying much...

I saw it on evilbay and just had to get my hands on it. Good thing it's not needing any parts as there are none to be had where I have looked.

Got it running. Vibrates the worst of any of my saws. Yikes!

After I get a b/c adapted, I'll start a thread in the main chainsaw forum.
Carl.

Gentleman donated eight saws to to cause this weekend. This will be the first on the operating table while parts are rounded up for the others.

Is this worth fixing? Looks awful worn and tired:laugh:

attachment.php

attachment.php

swap meet find

well i was at a the swap meet in roseville ca when i stumbled upon this little jem. i looked it over and set it back down and walked around for a couple hours deciding if i wanted to buy it or not. when i made my way out i stopped by and it was still there. 40 bucks later this is what i had. after getting it home i started tearing into it and noticed the carb looks fairly new and fuel line too. it had a little mixed fuel in it and was full of bar oil. i took it outside and took a couple yanks on the rope with nothing.....then i realized that the on/off switch was off.(its been a long day haha). after i flipped it on first full and it roared to life a little rough but it runs. so now the fun begins of fixing it up. what you guys think good deal?

well i was at a the swap meet in roseville ca when i stumbled upon this little jem. i looked it over and set it back down and walked around for a couple hours deciding if i wanted to buy it or not. when i made my way out i stopped by and it was still there. 40 bucks later this is what i had. after getting it home i started tearing into it and noticed the carb looks fairly new and fuel line too. it had a little mixed fuel in it and was full of bar oil. i took it outside and took a couple yanks on the rope with nothing.....then i realized that the on/off switch was off.(its been a long day haha). after i flipped it on first full and it roared to life a little rough but it runs. so now the fun begins of fixing it up. what you guys think good deal?

I have one of these with the stack muffler. You can wake the dead with it:msp_w00t:

Now......if you have fiber washers that have a 'd' center section, then things opperate a little differently. The fiber washers would stay stationary, while the pawl crossbar is rotated. You could have regular washers on either side of the fiber frictions and it'd still all work, as the washers would only be providing spring preload. The 'friction grip' that is needed for an FM starter to work would be between the stationary fiber washers and the crossbar piece itself, rather than between two stationary STEEL washers against the fiber washers that are bonded to the pawl crossbar. This would explain why I've seen pawl sets with a large round hole and no fiber washers present on feebay...........in addition to the pawl setups (that I'm familiar with from my own saws) which have the fiber washers (with a smaller round hole) bonded to them.

I added one .040" thick steel washer between the spring and the 'top' fiber washer. That left the spring stacked almost solid and just enough room for the 'E' clip.

Starter catchs every time with the rope pulled out 8-10 inch.:rock:

Now to revisit the C5 starter.

Carl.

202186d1318215900-p1020912-jpg

202187d1318215902-p1020907-jpg

202188d1318215903-p1020909-jpg

202189d1318215905-p1020911-jpg

Are you kidding? A nice looking runner C-5 with a ROLLER NOSE bar for $40 is a GREAT deal.:clap:

I added one .040" thick steel washer between the spring and the 'top' fiber washer. That left the spring stacked almost solid and just enough room for the 'E' clip.

Starter catchs every time with the rope pulled out 8-10 inch.:rock:

Now to revisit the C5 starter.

Carl.

Good deal Carl. People talk poop about those FM starters, but they're usually trouble free if you know how to get/keep them working and don't abuse them.

Last edited:
yeah i thought it was a good deal. i was thinking about cleaning it up and maybe reselling it once i get a new chain on it

C5 recoil starter.

Added a .040" thick washer under the pressure spring. Now all you need to pull out is about 3" and the 'magic fingers' jump out.

It did make for a little binding so next time at Ace Hardware I shop for a thinner one like .035".

I need to leak test my repaired fuel tank and get him installed so I can give the recoil the acid test.

B.T.W. The fiber washers are glued/bonded to the 'D' washers.

Are you kidding? A nice looking runner C-5 with a ROLLER NOSE bar for $40 is a GREAT deal.:clap:

Good deal Carl. People talk poop about those FM starters, but they're usually trouble free if you know how to get/keep them working and don't abuse them.

Not a bad price on a C5. I have one just like that one except I did get rid of the FM and I'm glad I did. Had to change a lot of parts but I feel it was worth it.

yeah i thought it was a good deal. i was thinking about cleaning it up and maybe reselling it once i get a new chain on it

If you're selling it on 'the bay get ready! I sold three saws this week and the saw I thought was a fine saw brought very little and the two others that were so-so brought much more. You never know, you know..

yeah i know what you mean. i took ol blue out back for a trial run after what i thought was a decent file job...man was i wrong haha. the saw did nothing but produce a fine powder after 15 min of carb tuning to even get it to high rev without dieing out. so with a little work it might be a good saw for showing off haha

Gentleman donated eight saws to to cause this weekend. This will be the first on the operating table while parts are rounded up for the others.

Is this worth fixing? Looks awful worn and tired:laugh:

Meh - you suck. (+1)

you, too. (+1)

===

two awfully pretty blue hommies - Great finds!

A few things Carl.

1)The friction washers should be attached to the pawl crossbar. They have been bonded to the crossbar on all the Homelite FM starters that I've tinkered with.

2)DO NOT bend the pawl teeth out if at all possible. They are brittle and brreak easily.

3)Don't put oil or anything else on the fiber washers.

4)The starter cup needs to be replaced if the 'grip section' is so badly hogged out that you need to bend the pawl teeth to reach. They get chewed up by ham-fisted people that just jerk the damn rope out.

5)There should be the pawl assembly (with two friction washers bonded onto it), two thin steel washers with a double "D" hole in the center that matches the axle shaft in the starter (one goes on each side of the pawl/friction washer assembly), the coil spring, a thick steel washer, and the 'E' clip that retains them. Without those two steel 'D' washers, the system won't work for ####. They're often missing...

6)The 'technique' used with a Fairbanks Morse type starter system is a bit different than 'normal' starters. With 'normal' starters, you slowly/gently pull until the dogs/pawls engage, then pull like hell. With the FM, you want to do a short, quick jerk of the wrist to seat the dogs..............then you pull like hell. Don't pull slowly to begin with (as the dogs don't extend well and get a good bite), and don't just do a hard jerk right from the beginning (as that batters the pawl teeth and the starter cup). You need to get a feel for it.

7)Many saws (besides Homelites) used FM starters with the same pawls, friction washers, and steel double "D" washers............so you have a broad base to search through when looking for parts. Even some old Stihls used these starters, so parts can be found at long-standing Stihl dealers.

To prevent these Fairbanks Morse type starters from slipping use a 5/32 file to file six evenly spaced shallow grooves in the starter cup, it gives the pawls something to bite into.
If the friction washer is worn down try placing an O ring on top of it, it gives it more grip.

Latest posts

Back