Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChainLightning

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
They don't seem to go so bad that they need replaced, I've had them where they sat so long that the points got dirt or corrosion on the points and they didn't have any fire. A couple of swipes with some fine sandpaper and it was good to go.

They are a pain to work on. Just one of them saws built to throw away after something goes wrong. I did not know that the 330 had points. Thought it was all electronic.

a. palmer jr.
They are a pain to work on. Just one of them saws built to throw away after something goes wrong. I did not know that the 330 had points. Thought it was all electronic.

Seems like one that I had was electronic, not sure. I have some Super XLs that were points and electronic also. Guess the older ones were points. I've had a lot less trouble with the points system than I have with electronic module saws.

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Photo0145.jpg

Photo0144.jpg

picked up this SXL at a pawn shop, guy said it didn't run and cost him $40 to buy the saw and have someone look at it. He sold it to me for the $40 he had in it and I took it home and put a new fuel line in it and wammo it runs. The saw looks to be very low hour and bar is supposed to be the original. 24 inch homelite roller nose.

ChainLightning

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
Photo0145.jpg

Photo0144.jpg

picked up this SXL at a pawn shop, guy said it didn't run and cost him $40 to buy the saw and have someone look at it. He sold it to me for the $40 he had in it and I took it home and put a new fuel line in it and wammo it runs. The saw looks to be very low hour and bar is supposed to be the original. 24 inch homelite roller nose.

That bar alone is worth over 100 in that shape. Looks like you got a killer deal. Great Job. Hope you get a lot more hours out of it!

whatscooking

whatscooking

ArboristSite Operative
Got a 925

I feel like i owe the people on this site a tip or something or i wish i never found this site, after years of thinking the SXLA was the only saw Homelite made i got to reading on here how great the XL 925 was so i set out to find one and came up with a 903 right off the batt and thought it would be fine then a fella that i had spoke with before the 903 called and knew of a 925 so off i go and and a great looking saw with three bars total, each longer, i got my big saw inventory taken care of, i wish i would of looked at these saws when they were new, how much did they cost back in the day?

a. palmer jr.
I feel like i owe the people on this site a tip or something or i wish i never found this site, after years of thinking the SXLA was the only saw Homelite made i got to reading on here how great the XL 925 was so i set out to find one and came up with a 903 right off the batt and thought it would be fine then a fella that i had spoke with before the 903 called and knew of a 925 so off i go and and a great looking saw with three bars total, each longer, i got my big saw inventory taken care of, i wish i would of looked at these saws when they were new, how much did they cost back in the day?

They probably cost over $400. The Super XL was 3something around here if I remember correctly. The only new Homelite I ever bought was a Super 2-it cost me $149 and lasted me 15 years or so. I sold it the other day for around $50, should have kept it. In todays dollars they would be as pricey as a new Stihl.

jerrycmorrow

jerrycmorrow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
C5 from recycler

starting the slow process of rebuilding/restoring this C-5 i bought from the salvage yard. gotten some parts help already from AS members. starting the tear down and cleanup process. i pulled the fuel filter cap and saw the tank was loaded with sludge. can i clean this out without taking the fuel tank apart? also, thinking i might need a gasket set or will have to make my own. anyone got any tips as this is my first homie? thanks

a. palmer jr.
starting the slow process of rebuilding/restoring this C-5 i bought from the salvage yard. gotten some parts help already from AS members. starting the tear down and cleanup process. i pulled the fuel filter cap and saw the tank was loaded with sludge. can i clean this out without taking the fuel tank apart? also, thinking i might need a gasket set or will have to make my own. anyone got any tips as this is my first homie? thanks

I doubt if you can clean out the tank without taking the front cover off the tank. I had trouble getting that heavy sludge off mine even with the cover off! That stuff gets pretty tough after all these years. Just be a little careful when you take the cover off and you'll be ok, the rest is just scraping and cleaning. The screws are kinda small so don't muscle them too much or you may be looking for extras.

Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
thanks. i'm wondering also about the availability and difficulty of replacing the crank seals. no indication that they're bad but since i'm pretty much stripping it down to clean might just as well replace them too. any leads on the whole-saw gasket set?

All the individual gaskets and the crank seals are redily available on feebay. The crank seals can also be sourced locally from a bearing supply house if you give them the numbers off the old seals. You won't likely find a complete gasket set anymore. Do you have an IPL?

jerrycmorrow

jerrycmorrow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
All the individual gaskets and the crank seals are redily available on feebay. The crank seals can also be sourced locally from a bearing supply house if you give them the numbers off the old seals. You won't likely find a complete gasket set anymore. Do you have an IPL?

got an ipl. just starting my search. also, anyone got an idea what the original name of the paint color is? thanks

ChainLightning

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
right a sprocket nose, had roller nose bars on the brain, my bad.
2runners005.jpg

So what did you do here? Use different parts on this from different models of XLs? Looks like your filter cover is from a pre 70s blue XL and your saw is one of the red ones. Looks cool. I am working on a blue XL, 1965 I believe. Piston is in bad shape but those things will run on hardly no compression. The one I am rebuilding needs a new line and one of the bolts that hold the bar on came off. I just stuck it back in and grinded it smooth cause the metal was all mushroomed around it. Bar is solid now and the chain will spin. Cool saws. Are you gonna redo yours just for show, or are you gonna actually cut with it when your done?

Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
Why not cut with it? I wouldn't want to do production work with them, but I've cut quite a bit of wood with my SXL/XL-12 saws. The saw pictured looks to also have a clutch cover from a blue/white XL-12/SXL saw. There's a bit of white left on it, and the red ones were red and black. I've seen the later black plastic AF covers faded to a grey that almost looks like what we see in the pic. My guess is that it actually is blue, and came from the same saw as the clutch cover. Probably that RN bar too. It's older than the rest of the saw methinks...

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Yes, it was a very beat up Super XL That had cracks and chips but a good case, piston and cylinder. I dug into the XL 12 buckets to get the parts I needed to make it whole again. I sold this saw minus the roller nose bar a while back and have a much better example around here somewhere.
Photo0144.jpg

If it sticks around it may make it out to cut wood, it is hard to take many older saws when I have some nice ones that really move through the wood.