Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to me like an SXL-925 that's had the recoil cover replaced with one from an earlier XL700/800/900 series saw. Impossible to be certain. It's somewhat of a frankensaw. The only part that actually sez "925" is the clutch cover, and it looks to be swapped on too (different paint 'fade'). The handlebar brace seems to match the clutch cover, and the AF cover doesn't match anything there. The choke knob is a later style, like you'd see on an SXL-925. The manual oiler pump is on the back/left of the rear handle/carb box casting. Earlier saws in the series have the pump in the right/front of the carb box (like a C/XP series), with a shaft and link setup running from a thumb lever on the left side.

Tellyawhat Ed...........I'll double your money and even pay for shipping on top of it!:D

Last edited:
Looks to me like an SXL-925 that's had the recoil cover replaced with one from an earlier XL700/800/900 series saw. Impossible to be certain. It's somewhat of a frankensaw. The only part that actually sez "925" is the clutch cover, and it looks to be swapped on too (different paint 'fade'). The handlebar brace seems to match the clutch cover, and the AF cover doesn't match anything there. The choke knob is a later style, like you'd see on an SXL-925. The manual oiler pump is on the back/left of the rear handle/carb box casting. Earlier saws in the series have the pump in the right/front of the carb box (like a C/XP series), with a shaft and link setup running from a thumb lever on the left side.

Tellyawhat Ed...........I'll double your money and even pay for shipping on top of it!:D

What's the difference between the XL925 and my VI944? The stats look about the same according to Acres site. Somehow the 944 isn't quite as favored as the 925 at least as far as I've read.

What's the difference between the XL925 and my VI944? The stats look about the same according to Acres site. Somehow the 944 isn't quite as favored as the 925 at least as far as I've read.

Main differences are all the parts needed to make the XL925 an AV saw. Different carb box, rear handle, lower handle brace, handlebar mounting, etc. I don't have any experience with the VI944 and VI955 saws. A good friend who's been running Homelites since the '60s told me he HATES the AV stuff on the VI saws. Sez it makes them feel "spongey". He has a box full of VI specific parts that he swapped off of VI saws that he's gotten over the decades to make them non-VI.

Yep, my dad didn't like them either. He had the VI-955 and traded it off for a 925. He initially started with a 925, always said that it was one of the stupidest ideas they ever had.

Yeah, my saw has that anti-vibe stuff on it. I'm inclined to tighten mine up too if I get the time. That saw is heavy enough I doubt if you'd notice the vibes anyway. Thanks for the info, guys.

Yeah, my saw has that anti-vibe stuff on it. I'm inclined to tighten mine up too if I get the time. That saw is heavy enough I doubt if you'd notice the vibes anyway. Thanks for the info, guys.

That is exactly what he did, tighten it up to the breaking point! Said he couldn't feel the saw, probably from years of running real saws and all the vibration they gave out. He even hated auto oilers, said it was something else to break.

Another idiotic question

I now have two Homelite 240 saws with non-working oilers. The price of the new oilers is roughly what the saw is worth so I'm not considering buying at this time. What I'm wondering is why couldn't a person change the oiler over to the Super 2 version? It's got the hose coming from the crankcase, you could run that to the oil tank, put a db valve on the end of it, then run another line to the bar from the tank pickup. You'd have to plug the existing db valve hole in the side of the oil tank with epoxy. Anyone else considering this? I have a saw to experiment on so may try it unless someone thinks of a reason why I shouldn't.

Yep, my dad didn't like them either. He had the VI-955 and traded it off for a 925. He initially started with a 925, always said that it was one of the stupidest ideas they ever had.

Homelite felt they "had" to make VI saws to compete with the McCulloch AV equipped 70cc and 82cc saws (CP/SP70, SP-80/81, PM850, etc).

Can't find the diaphragm and plunger? I think I have one, do you have a number? Otherwise they can be cleaned and they usually work if everything else is correct...

Thanks Chainsawlady!

I had only one good fuel cap I had to keep swapping around from saw to saw. Two had caps with the vent clogged up and two missing the bits so they peed on my boots.

Joyce sent me four duckbills and four of the sintered bronze filter/breathers that go in the lid.

Such a simple fix has made a big difference.

Can't find the diaphragm and plunger? I think I have one, do you have a number? Otherwise they can be cleaned and they usually work if everything else is correct...

To be perfectly honest with you, I haven't done anything to either saw...yet. I just got one of them today, former owner said it had a problem, I asked him if it was the oiler and he said "I think so". The one I've had for awhile just now sprung a leak through the little hole in the side of the oiler so I assumed the diaphragm was leaking. I just figured I'd fix it like a Super 2. As long as everything was in good shape on those saws they oiled all right. My "newer" saw doesn't have any leaks so I'm thinking the oiler just may be ok and something else is wrong with it. I'll switch the two oilers around and see if the newer one works right.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Will they or wont they

I have a fuel tank leak on a 925 at the seam so i need to split the case. I got my screwdriver on one of the screws and the head of the screw\bolt will move ever so slightly but it will not break free so far, i am scared that the small bolt will snap. I have one of those impact tools you hit with a hammer and it twists things loose but do these tiny bolts have a history of breaking?

I have a fuel tank leak on a 925 at the seam so i need to split the case. I got my screwdriver on one of the screws and the head of the screw\bolt will move ever so slightly but it will not break free so far, i am scared that the small bolt will snap. I have one of those impact tools you hit with a hammer and it twists things loose but do these tiny bolts have a history of breaking?

Tiny and old, yes you can break them, be careful, I'm not sure about the impact tool either.

I used a gunsmith screwdriver bit (they are concave on each side and not tapered as normal screwdrivers are) and my cordless impact very gently to break mine loose.
The regular tapered screwdrivers wanted to back out of the screws very badly.

Mike

I picked up a XL 98A along with a XL 102 at the vintage saw store. The 98 will become the parts I need to get my 925 dressed up nice and I have a xl 76 that will make the 102 a runner.

Photo0238.jpg

Photo0235.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of my new to me XP 1020 after I cleaned her up. Got great spark with the new plug but still not getting fuel flow. I guess cleaning the carb is next. I did fit it with a more appropriate bar. :rock:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

XLBC-B parts needed

For a brushcutter I need a throttle cable A424843 and a fuel line 63744A are there any to be found anywhere.

Last edited:
Back