Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 cube?

I picked up my first red chainsaw today And i now see why there are so many homelite nuts. Its a cherry 650 super. it runs good other than needing a carb cleaning. I am looking for any history/Info you guys got. I would call myself a hard core stihl fan but wow this is a great saw. Does any one know why it has (demo 37) engraved in the top of th saw?

btw it came with a extra 10 pin sproket! race bar and chain!
Andrew

Good score! You'll need a K10-WB kit for that carb. When you pull the carb, closely inspect the intake boot. They deteriorate, and will cause a nasty air leak. Also make sure the muffler bolts ate tight. When they loosen, the muffler gets beat up. Mufflers an pistos/cylinders for this saw series are scarce.

My blue/white XL-12 I know has the flat flapper reed. IIRC my red/black XL-12 has the pyramid reed. Been a while since I had the carb. off him.

All the XL-101 types have the four petal pyramid reed. Need any? Got three leftover.

The XL-101 beats the XL-12 in weight and width department.

Aaron, being new to this site, I'm not sure what muffler bolts eat. Could you explain?

And why are they tight when they do it?

well, like many of us Wendell, you and I and Aaron included, when you eat something the pants get a little tighter, and when you are twisted into something, that would make it harder to untwist, but these things eat so much they are swollen right out of their bolt holes, so they get loose and stuff, then stuff happens to the muffler and stuff, and stuff.

Aaron, being new to this site, I'm not sure what muffler bolts eat. Could you explain?

And why are they tight when they do it?

Dunno Steve. You can ask my phone why it auto-completed the word as "ate" rather rhan "are". It would probably tell you that the fault was mine, and would probably say something about my thick fingers and poor proofreading skills...:D

Find yourself a carcass and I can fix you up with a care package.:msp_biggrin:

Cool! Thanks Carl.:cheers:

Got a soldering gun Jim? Try heating the screws, the spraying them with PB Blaster or other penetrant. I've had some luck with this trick. It seems to draw the penetrant in between the threads. Repeat the process a few times, and be patient.

Last edited:
Pictures to liven this place up. Picked this up in Idaho this weekend! Piston looks good thru the muffler and feels like good compression.

100MEDIA_IMAG1036.jpg

Shortest roller bar I've ever seen! Fits the XL series and should look good on my Super XL
100MEDIA_IMAG1035.jpg

It says 1550 meaning 15" and 50 gauge I'm pretty sure, Aaron, care to confirm?
100MEDIA_IMAG1034.jpg

Also picked up a nice 28" roller and a Cannon super bar that is a 30" 3/8 sprocket nose, both in large Stihl mount.

Pictures to liven this place up. Picked this up in Idaho this weekend! Piston looks good thru the muffler and feels like good compression.

Shortest roller bar I've ever seen! Fits the XL series and should look good on my Super XL

It says 1550 meaning 15" and 50 gauge I'm pretty sure, Aaron, care to confirm?

Also picked up a nice 28" roller and a Cannon super bar that is a 30" 3/8 sprocket nose, both in large Stihl mount.

Good job Randy! 900D? Looks like mine. I'm putting an NOS piston and cylinder on my 900D is it's scored right now. Kind members here have hooked me up with the new parts. Still in need of a few gaskets and some time to dig into that project. I have a 36" hardnose to run on that saw. May have it fitted with a RN tip some time down the road for that 'extra touch'.:D

000_0199.jpg

000_0196.jpg

That bar does indeed look like an XL series bar, and I interpret the markings the same way. Bill G has old Oregon catalogs and could confirm the part number (17428). I have a 20" RN XL-mount bar that otherwise looks just like yours. Came to me on a Super XL-12 with a smoked cylinder. I'll try to shoot a pic of that bar and post it up soon. Had a 70DL loop of Oregon safety chain on it. Something just plain WRONG with seeing safety chain on a RN bar....

Last edited:
I agree! Your looks in nicer shape than mine. Glad you got some parts for it, now we just need some video!
This saw has a busted rear handle, missing the left side oiler lever, bent front handle.... and will provide parts to the other two I have.

Thanks for the confirmation.. I've never seen a 15" roller nose, should look good on the old XL.

I agree! Your looks in nicer shape than mine. Glad you got some parts for it, now we just need some video!
This saw has a busted rear handle, missing the left side oiler lever, bent front handle.... and will provide parts to the other two I have.

Thanks for the confirmation.. I've never seen a 15" roller nose, should look good on the old XL.

I have a 15" Remington roller nose large McCulloch mount bar that came to me on a McCulloch 250. Gonna outfit it with a loop of chisel and mount it on one of my six cube Macs sometime with a 3/8-10 rim for a little cookie cutting GTG fun.:D

Back