Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had that 15" Remington on my McCulloch 740 a while back when testing a Tillotson HL that I rebuilt for an AS member. Looked about like that big Husky 2100CD with the teeny RN bar. RH start Macs require a bar to be mounted in order for the starter to work (since the recoil is in the clutch cover). Playing with that little bar, I found out that those big RH start Macs also are MUCH easier to start with a longer bar on them. They 'want' to flip up when a fellow pulls the rope (even when pulling BACK rather than up, which is the propper proceedure). That's the only time I've resorted to 'drop' starting a large RH start McCulloch...

Last edited:
wud up with all these short bars? :D

CIMG5042.jpg

I'll have to mount my 16" SN or 20" RN bar onto the 750 I'm working on so I can play along. Shoot a pic with it next to the Mac 740 wearing the 15" RN.:D

Pictures to liven this place up. Picked this up in Idaho this weekend! Piston looks good thru the muffler and feels like good compression.

100MEDIA_IMAG1036.jpg

I have a spare top cover I was saving for the 995 G, it is in good shape other than paint, if you desperately need it drop me a line and I will send it to you.

Photo0237.jpg

sorry, you will have to find the original stone tablets with the parts chiseled on them.

Unacceptable. Somewhere it exists.

Cant get the recoil off, the spring is busted. Have all the screws out of the shroud and recoil grill, so it has to be caught in the starter cup.

I'll settle for some who is using the spring cover for an ashtray. They would know how to remove it.

XL12 needs new home

I picked this up yeserday but don't have time to go completely through it. The saw is complete (except for bar/chain), has good spark, 140 psi compression, piston looks good.

See classifieds or PM if you have any interest.
attachment.php

Unacceptable. Somewhere it exists.

Cant get the recoil off, the spring is busted. Have all the screws out of the shroud and recoil grill, so it has to be caught in the starter cup.

I'll settle for some who is using the spring cover for an ashtray. They would know how to remove it.

I have a copy of the IPL - will send it through.

To remove the recoil from these machines you first need to remove the pulley from the ball starter mechanism. This is held on by the 4 small screws which you should be able to see with the 'ashtray' removed. When you have removed the 4 screws, the pulley should be able to be removed (provided you have removed the starter cable / rope and handle assy). The next item to be removed is the spring cover. This cover is a firm fit over the air screen and bracket assy, and should come off with gentle prying. You will now be able to see your broken spring, and be able to remove it.

Regards,

Chris.

Picked up a xl 102 today, i'm going to break it down and powder coat it all. anyone know where i can find a manual? and maybe some bearings and seals...

Awesome thread!!! I may have to hollar at you if I run into any parts I need, when you were building those saws what did you use to mate the case halves back together? Did you make a gasket or use a sealer?

On the XL-101's I used Permatex 300 gasket cement, an old can of black goo I've had for years. The XL-113 and 123 I reused the old gasket (.025" thick) as leaving it out caused interfearence with the coil mounting.

My best one pulls 170psi with new rings and used piston and cylinder. The rest pump 150-160.

Looks like I'm purchasing a John Deere marked saw, thinking it's a Homie XL? The air filter cover is broken clean through. Does anyone have one colored yellow they would be willing to part with? What is a fair price for the saw with a broken cover? Maybe $30? He said it doesn't run at the moment, but honestly at least for me, they never do before I get um.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like I'm purchasing a John Deere marked saw, thinking it's a Homie XL? The air filter cover is broken clean through. Does anyone have one colored yellow they would be willing to part with? What is a fair price for the saw with a broken cover? Maybe $30? He said it doesn't run at the moment, but honestly at least for me, they never do before I get um.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It resembles a Super XL but we'd have to have a more close up pic to tell for sure. From what I see that air filter cover doesn't look like a Homelite but I can't be sure.

attachment.php

attachment.php

She is a Remington, easy to confuse the two. Marked as an 18 or 19 I'll bet.
Mike Acres says: Model Profile: 18

Back