Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homelite

I may not have been in the game long but where I am in Canada these dont seem to be as common as you all make them out to be. Might be why the price is high. looks like he is fishing for some yuppie to buy it because it looks cool. The guy selling it also has attached some sentimental value to it which has inflated the price. Don't think offering him 15$ for it is going to fly.

Situation seems common around here, was at another pawn shop in town and the guy was asking $120 for a old JRed 520 that was beat to hell. I just walked out shaking my head. Can't explain fair market value to some people.

I may not have been in the game long but where I am in Canada these dont seem to be as common as you all make them out to be. Might be why the price is high. looks like he is fishing for some yuppie to buy it because it looks cool. The guy selling it also has attached some sentimental value to it which has inflated the price. Don't think offering him 15$ for it is going to fly.

Situation seems common around here, was at another pawn shop in town and the guy was asking $120 for a old JRed 520 that was beat to hell. I just walked out shaking my head. Can't explain fair market value to some people.

Best thing to do is walk away, you would be happier with a larger cc model anyway.

This is for sale locally. Being recently bitten by CAD I am not yet aware of what current value might be. It turns over and has compression. Apparently it run before it was put away 10 years ago. Any info or opinions about value would be helpful.

View attachment 289705
View attachment 289706
View attachment 289707

That particular model came in two different flavors. The saws built in Port Chester had a gear ration of 3.57:1 and the ones built in Gastonia had a 2:1 gear ratio along with some other design improvements. The one in your post is the 2:1 ratio model.

I have an example of the 3.57:1 model. Haven't gotten around to getting it running but it does have good compression and spark with no missing or broken parts and will fire and run for a bit with a shot of mix. I've been keeping an eye out for one of the 2:1 ratio models. I won't say what I paid for mine but I'll just say that I overpaid and knew it. Personally, I would probably pay that if it has good compression and no missing parts, but I am also really wanting one.

4 more Homies

I drug 4 more saws in today, all Homies, 2 Super EZs, 1 Super 2, and an XL12. A couple of them look like they might clean up, the Super 2 has a broken handle, and one of the Super EZs I assume doesn't have a coil since it didn't have a plug wire. I'll tear into them after I get them cleaned up a little.

I drug 4 more saws in today, all Homies, 2 Super EZs, 1 Super 2, and an XL12. A couple of them look like they might clean up, the Super 2 has a broken handle, and one of the Super EZs I assume doesn't have a coil since it didn't have a plug wire. I'll tear into them after I get them cleaned up a little.

I been pulling the recoil covers and soaking them with foaming engine degreaser from the auto parts store. A blast from the garden hose hooked up to the hot side on the laundry tub faucet does a good job of removing the major part of the mess.

Wait for a warm sunny day.

I been pulling the recoil covers and soaking them with foaming engine degreaser from the auto parts store. A blast from the garden hose hooked up to the hot side on the laundry tub faucet does a good job of removing the major part of the mess.

Wait for a warm sunny day.

That certainly wouldn't be today. May get time tomorrow after dentist app. I had the XL12 running already with a prime so can't be much wrong. Air box and air filter on it are completely covered with sawdust so it'll need some cleaning for sure. I just gave $30 for all 4 so I didn't get hurt much..

That is plumb stupid.........................................................................................

I think $15 would be reasonable.

Plant it in the front yard with your house number on the bar.

Thats a pretty cool idea. If I lived in the city i'd have to do that..also would have to bolt it to the ground pretty good too. Which comes to if I lived in the city then I probably would not be on here :laugh:

yep. fully half of my saws spent time in the metal salvage bin. most ran with just a little tinkering.

I hear ya there. It seeks to amaze me how people don't even try to fix or replace something simple such as a gas line. A less than $5 gas line and new gas filter that requires a quick search on Youtube if anything to know how to install takes way much less time and money than to get a new or different saw. Oh well I guess we and the manufacturer get the longer end of the stick on that one. I bet those same people who tossed out that saw are wondering why we toss out our computers and electronics when they break instead of trying to fix them...

I hear ya there. It seeks to amaze me how people don't even try to fix or replace something simple such as a gas line. A less than $5 gas line and new gas filter that requires a quick search on Youtube if anything to know how to install takes way much less time and money than to get a new or different saw. Oh well I guess we and the manufacturer get the longer end of the stick on that one. I bet those same people who tossed out that saw are wondering why we toss out our computers and electronics when they break instead of trying to fix them...

I've gotten saws before that didn't need anything but fuel. I guess the owner just got tired of them and wanted a new one.

I've gotten saws before that didn't need anything but fuel. I guess the owner just got tired of them and wanted a new one.

As it turns out, the XL12 is one of those. I cleaned it up and checked it out, it looked okay so I put fuel in it and it started right up! All it needed was the chain sharpened and the carb adjusted slightly. I cut a couple of pieces of wood and it did great!

As it turns out, the XL12 is one of those. I cleaned it up and checked it out, it looked okay so I put fuel in it and it started right up! All it needed was the chain sharpened and the carb adjusted slightly. I cut a couple of pieces of wood and it did great!

And one of the Super EZs is another. I cleaned it up, dressed the bar and cleaned the crud out of it, put a new starter rope in it just for the heck of it, found a new chain I had laying around, gassed it up and with a few pulls it was running. I didn't know those Super EZs ran so well! Both these saws are great little saws. The Super 2 is gonna need more..The handle looked like something fell on it so I pulled the motor out of the case and cleaned up another case I just happened to have and before long I'll throw the motor in the XL case and try to get it running. Of course it'll have new fuel and oil lines and DB valves. I'll probably have to find a better chain than it now has but I probably have one somewhere.
The other EZ is gonna be a parts saw for now...

I may have spoken too soon about the Super EZ. I had it running perfectly, even cut a small dab with it and it did great, put it up for the night and the next morning wouldn't start. I changed the plug and it was good to go again. I ran it for awhile and shut it off. Tried to start it again and it wouldn't start so I changed the plug again, this time no spark. I put a few more plugs in it and still no spark. I checked it on/off switch and it was good. I'm wondering if the module went out on this one in the small time I had it. I may have a friend around here who has a module for it so I'll check on it. I don't think I'm ready to buy one of Randy's $900 modules yet.

attachment.php

Back