Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The braided fishing line is a great idea. I fought these two o-rings almost to the death last night. This one has manual oiler only.

image.jpg

I was thinking about this (dangerous). Do you get a good outflow of oil at the bar when you push the button? It should be significant. The systems often get plugged up in the tubes and the pick up in the oil tank. If there is a fair bit of back pressure when you push the rod, this may be your issue. If it's not going to the bar port it's going to put a lot of pressure on the "O" ring and may leak past.
I have a 700 and a 922 that have pretty wobbley manual oiler rods but they don't leak back.

Just somehing you may consider.

Is this one that has the pump above the muffler with the rocker shaft?

Not the best place for an oil pump. XL924 cured that.

Interesting you say that. All the Canadian built Terry saws I have including a 922 and 925 have the manual oilers up there. They don't get warm though
I think the only 900 series saws out of the US that have those are the VI944 and VI955.

I was thinking about this (dangerous). Do you get a good outflow of oil at the bar when you push the button? It should be significant. The systems often get plugged up in the tubes and the pick up in the oil tank. If there is a fair bit of back pressure when you push the rod, this may be your issue. If it's not going to the bar port it's going to put a lot of pressure on the "O" ring and may leak past.
I have a 700 and a 922 that have pretty wobbley manual oiler rods but they don't leak back.

Just somehing you may consider.

Put out a good amount of oil. Good to know about the wobbley not leaking part. I think I'm going to try a bigger o-ring. The one I have on it now is not even as wide as the plunger. These o-rings were never used but it might be 30 years old. I think that will fix me up.

Homelite c-7
Recently acquired a c-7 and it does not seem to have any spark. I'm looking for any info on how to test the coil & points. Also looking for a good set of points and coil. I'm not sure but I was told that all of the C series used the same points and coil ?? Also looking for a carb. kit

Homelite c-7
Recently acquired a c-7 and it does not seem to have any spark. I'm looking for any info on how to test the coil & points. Also looking for a good set of points and coil. I'm not sure but I was told that all of the C series used the same points and coil ?? Also looking for a carb. kit[/QUOTE
Do you know the part # for the carb kit? I probly have it!

Homelite c-7
Recently acquired a c-7 and it does not seem to have any spark. I'm looking for any info on how to test the coil & points. Also looking for a good set of points and coil. I'm not sure but I was told that all of the C series used the same points and coil ?? Also looking for a carb. kit

Try this link out. Some good stuff there on testing your Homelite ignition.

http://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/thread/2682/ignition-system-testing

Have a look at this list from Tillotson. It should have an HL carb. The model number should be on the flange that attaches the carb to the adapter.

This will tell you which kit you need. Click on the HL section

http://www.tillotson.ie/products-parts.php

Put out a good amount of oil. Good to know about the wobbley not leaking part. I think I'm going to try a bigger o-ring. The one I have on it now is not even as wide as the plunger. These o-rings were never used but it might be 30 years old. I think that will fix me up.

Update on the 901: I put on a couple of "bigger" o-rings...and...it...FIXED IT! No more oil spitting out out of the plunger and it oils very well.

Thanks to all for helping!

I noticed the other day while putting a Super XL together that the flywheel and coil have little or no clearance between them. Since the coil is riveted to the plate and the crankshaft runs through the plate also that there doesn't appear to be an adjustment. Anybody here ever run into that? The flywheel and coil assembly are both Wico brand.

I noticed the other day while putting a Super XL together that the flywheel and coil have little or no clearance between them. Since the coil is riveted to the plate and the crankshaft runs through the plate also that there doesn't appear to be an adjustment. Anybody here ever run into that? The flywheel and coil assembly are both Wico brand.

Slot the three mounting holes with a round file.

Leaving out the cylinder base gasket will cause the round file to be needed.

Slot the three mounting holes with a round file.

Leaving out the cylinder base gasket will cause the round file to be needed.
I didn't leave out the gasket. I'm wondering if I didn't get a mismatched flywheel even if it is the same brand. Maybe it's off a McCulloch or something. I could slot the bolt holes but it's a points saw and I'd think it would mess up the points since the crankshaft goes through the bracket. I'll probably have to buy another parts saw and get some more ignition stuff. I also had the bright idea of taking the coil off the bracket and slotting out the holes in the coil. It's riveted onto the bracket currently and the clearance is close to 0. Another thought might be to move the bracket back and remove the points and go the Nova II route.

I didn't leave out the gasket. I'm wondering if I didn't get a mismatched flywheel even if it is the same brand. Maybe it's off a McCulloch or something. I could slot the bolt holes but it's a points saw and I'd think it would mess up the points since the crankshaft goes through the bracket. I'll probably have to buy another parts saw and get some more ignition stuff. I also had the bright idea of taking the coil off the bracket and slotting out the holes in the coil. It's riveted onto the bracket currently and the clearance is close to 0. Another thought might be to move the bracket back and remove the points and go the Nova II route.
I really like Nova.

After going thru the troubleshooting of the ignition, I have gained a weak spark to which i believe it to be the old sparkplug that came with the saw. So I'm looking for the recommened or replacement sparkplug for the Homelite c-7. Thanks again to fossil for the info on testing.

Latest posts

Back