Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm not looking to spend more than a normal bar. May just have to get a 24 when the bar finally wears out. I saw one guy was selling some D196 bars over there but they were 24".

I'm debating buying a p+c to resurrect my XL-103. Were these saws pretty stout for their size or not so much?

If it runs like an XL-76 it's definitely worth fixing. The cylinders are a different PN so I don't know. The 103 has a glued together fuel tank I believe, so I would check to make sure it doesn't leak before you sink some money into it.

I use an beater XL-76 frequently on firewood and It's quite smooth for a rigid mount saw. It does cut fast.

It's definitely faster than my Poulan 3700.

If it runs like an XL-76 it's definitely worth fixing. The cylinders are a different PN so I don't know. The 103 has a glued together fuel tank I believe, so I would check to make sure it doesn't leak before you sink some money into it.

I use an beater XL-76 frequently on firewood and It's quite smooth for a rigid mount saw. It does cut fast.

It's definitely faster than my Poulan 3700.
They look identical on the outside but I see the 76 is one cc larger. I would think a 57 cc reed valve saw would be pretty snappy given the performance of its smaller cousin the Super EZ.

So I see this family of saws have slightly different bores with the 1.375 stroke. Will any of the p+c sets bolt up to any of the saws within the family?

Soft spot for the XL-76/130's from Pointe-Claire. Strongest sub 60 cc saw I have run. They cut out of their weight class for certain. I always seem to find room for one when I head out cutting.

Here is one with a coil swap and adjusted timing. http://s26.photobucket.com/user/Hoggwood/media/Homelite XL-76 Ignition Swap_zps9w14dqhx.mp4.html?o=0

Another earlier one with points coil and chip. Bar rails were not true and I was fighting chain a bit. Regardless, they pile up the chips in a hurry. http://s26.photobucket.com/user/Hog...XL-76 July 2015 DFir_zpsfasuaa46.mp4.html?o=6

I few of mine.

Homelite XL-76 Douglas Fir July 2015.jpg Homelite XL-76 Ignition Swap - Repco 2.jpg Homelite XL-76 Ignition Swap - Repco 1.jpg Homelite XL-76 May 2016 1.jpg Homelite XL-76 Smithrite Special 4.jpg

So I see this family of saws have slightly different bores with the 1.375 stroke. Will any of the p+c sets bolt up to any of the saws within the family?

Careful on this one. Some of the XL-101 - XL-104 saws have different pilot sizes on the cylinders. Some are 1-15/16" and some are 2".

See note one from the IPL below the cylinder photo

You would want to pull your cylinder and see which one you have before you buy. I checked the only XL-76 cylinder I have which is not on a saw and the pilot on that is 2"

I checked the bore and it's 1.8125"

The XL-76 saws do not have a compression releaseDSCF3086.JPG

upload_2016-10-5_10-13-34.png

Careful on this one. Some of the XL-101 - XL-104 saws have different pilot sizes on the cylinders. Some are 1-15/16" and some are 2".

See note one from the IPL below the cylinder photo

You would want to pull your cylinder and see which one you have before you buy. I checked the only XL-76 cylinder I have which is not on a saw and the pilot on that is 2"

I checked the bore and it's 1.8125"

The XL-76 saws do not have a compression releaseView attachment 529664

View attachment 529665
Thank you. That is very helpful information!

Seems I am getting lots of firewood of late.

I had the 902 out yesterday. I suspected the condenser were acting funny. I did not have an OEM one on hand. So, I threw one in from a thrashed mini mac PN 85358. It is common to the 10-series. Aside from the integral bracket (flipped it upside down), it works excellent and bolted into place with the Homie clamp.

I then went and knocked down a Douglas and proceeded to fill my truck 2 1/2 times. Still have the top 25' to get next time. Brutal to split. Twisted, resinous and knot filled. Some Douglas can be very humbling. I fired up one of the XL-76's at home today and noodled quite a few in half to help with the splitting. Going to sun dry and flip the pile over the next 24 hrs. The absolute best fire starter.

The aroma from the pile of noodles is intoxicating.

Cutting Oct 8 2016 1.jpg

Homelite XL-76 Noodling 1.jpg

Picked up a nice little red Super EZ Automatic off CL the other day for $20. After going through it, changed the spark plug, adjusted carb, and topped off the fuel mix. Seems to run really good. The saw came with an 18" bar, which I'll be using to cut small ash tree logs to firewood size. Does this saw have enough guts to pull an 18"?

Picked up a nice little red Super EZ Automatic off CL the other day for $20. After going through it, changed the spark plug, adjusted carb, and topped off the fuel mix. Seems to run really good. The saw came with an 18" bar, which I'll be using to cut small ash tree logs to firewood size. Does this saw have enough guts to pull an 18"?

All of mine run 16" 3/8 full-comp. Small saws, big heart. I can bury a 16" (softwood) and it will pull.

It is probably time for Coffee Break again. Never tire of seeing what these units can do.

It's not going to shine in hardwood with bar buried but that's fine for smaller logs or softwood. Mine do fine with 16" but when I got into the red oak it was a little slow.

Edit: I see I was typing at the same time as Hoggwood

Back