Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my 36" bars has the knock out for the stinger, and it's knocked out. How hard are the helper handles to find? I wouldn't mind having one for display. The 5-30 I was looking at has a helper handle, would it be the same? Joe.

Here is the Oregon style helper, they are not too easy to find.

CIMG4768.jpg

CIMG4769.jpg

You can still buy the grandberg helpers.

You could adapt one of these if you really want one. fill in the hole and drill or make a special slug and washers.

CIMG4771.jpg

CIMG4772.jpg

In my searching, I came across this cut-off saw and picked it up pretty cheap. Supposed to be a Homelite. Can anyone help me identify the model? It has me baffled as it seems to have parts of the C, XP, and XL series.

homelitecut-off2.jpg

homelitecut-off3.jpg

homelitecut-off.jpg

homelitecut-off6.jpg

Thanks!

-Phillip

Mutt

Interesting compilation. the recoil looks homelite but that saw looks alot like a montgomery wards gear drive.
Mike

In my searching, I came across this cut-off saw and picked it up pretty cheap. Supposed to be a Homelite. Can anyone help me identify the model? It has me baffled as it seems to have parts of the C, XP, and XL series.

homelitecut-off2.jpg

homelitecut-off3.jpg

homelitecut-off.jpg

homelitecut-off6.jpg

Thanks!

-Phillip

Judging by the lines and the little bit of paint I would say it's some sort of Pioneer. Throw it up in the Pioneer dedicated thread and see if it sticks...

XL, XL2 & Super 2 Main bearing and seal

The main bearings used on the above are Torrington BH-87. .500" ID x .750" OD x .4375 L. Full compliment needle bearing. i.e. no cage.

Shaft seal is a CR (Chicago Rawhide, owned by SKF) 4912. 1/2" shaft x 3/4" housing x 1/8" wide, single lip (lip pointed in).

Posted in the event some lost soul searchs for this information like I did.
Carl

i have an xl12 that runs great my 70 year old neighbor has over a dozen different homelites that are in good shape several of them have one thing in common its bad coils i missed out a couple of times trying to buy him some on ebay anybody out there know of a good source for various homey models of coils i have searched online but they are high.
they run 80.00 at local saw shop im just trying to help a great neighbor
thanks if you can help.

Did they use different cylinders on 1020xp's? I have one with a nipple for a pulse line and one without it. Also 2 cases one with larger cylinder bolts and one with slimmer.

Thanks!

-Phillip

Hiya Phillip,

That's some kind of Roper. They were usualy sold by Sears. Check the tag on the carb for a model # that has three digits, a period, and a bunch more digits. (for example, 916.123456). If you find a number like that you can look it up on the Sears parts site. Looks to have a 4.4ci Tecumseh/Power Products engine. Dead giveaway is the vertical choke and throttle shafts that are particular to the Tecumseh carbs. Most carbs have horrizontal shafts...

Did they use different cylinders on 1020xp's? I have one with a nipple for a pulse line and one without it. Also 2 cases one with larger cylinder bolts and one with slimmer.

Yep. There were a couple of different castings. The XP1000, XP1020, and XP1100 saws I've seen haven't had the idle adjustment port deal that the 1050 and 1130G saws had. That's not a pulse line, but is part of a 'bypass' idle adjustment deal that has a hose that runs from the nipple on the jug up to a port on the intake manifold.

Do you know for sure what model saws the jugs and crankcases came from? The larger cylinder bolt case may be for a 2000 or 2100...

Last edited:
Maybe this isn't the place for a history lesson. But, how much over lap is there on the XL12 models. I seem to remember the picture of the guy holding a Blue XL12 in palm. I was told the XL stood for Extra Lite and the 12 for 12 lbs. That was about 1968 or so. We started buying ours in the early 70's, and it seems to me they were all Super XL 12's and were red. I can't remember if they were auto's or not, but if it were available then, Dad would have gotten it. He was so into keeping his chains and bars oiled that if he had to tell someone to keep their thumb pumping more than 3 or 4 times, he'd let them go. He'd hand them a $20 dollar bill and tell them to catch a cab home. It was cheaper than burning up one of his saws. Anyway, there are a bunch of variations of that saw, and it was made for a long time, were there times when several variations were available at the same time? I've also seen blue ones with one or two red parts on them and the original owner said they came that way? Just curious, Joe.
The XL-12 is Extra Lite at 12# (without the bar)..
I don't believe the XL-12, which came out in 1963, ever carried the green paint. The 12's and 15's never had auto oiling.
The Super XL-12 was 3.55 cu in, basically the 12 with a the SXL piston and jug.
There was an XL Automatic, a Super XL (no auto oiling), and the Super XL Automatic. The SXL Auto in the early '70s didn't have the manual pump installed but it could be installed by the dealer. I think this was just a sales gimmick. To keep up with the competition, the manual oiler became a standard feature on the SXLAO.

Yep. There were a couple of different castings. The XP1000, XP1020, and XP1100 saws I've seen haven't had the idle adjustment port deal that the 1050 and 1130G saws had. That's not a pulse line, but is part of a 'bypass' idle adjustment deal that has a hose that runs from the nipple on the jug up to a port on the intake manifold.

Do you know for sure what model saws the jugs and crankcases came from? The larger cylinder bolt case may be for a 2000 or 2100...

Ok Thanks! I found out one is a XP1020A so that must be the difference.

I have XLs, SXLs, XL-12s, Lombard 42, Pioneers, Campbell Hausfield, and some variation of a Dayton. And they all share the same looks. In fact there is a Pioneer with Lombard covers on it somewhere upstairs.

But Acres lists most of those saws being based off the Homeylite design.

Yes and no. It is a Mono possibly sold under the Monkey Wards name with gosh only knows what cut-off arm attachment.

In the end that pup is a true mutt

Bill

I have a MW gear drive, we could put the cut off attachment on it and really make a confusing compilation of uniqness. Then post if for sale as Rare.

Is it belt drive? That clutch cup would be fun to evaluate.

Latest posts

Back