Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was hoping somebody could look at that video and see the two top covers and tell me what one is correct for that saw.

The squarish top cover with the Homelite sticker is correct. The rounded one was probably last used, I think, on the 7-19/7-21 saws--for sure, my 700G has the square style cover.

Chris B.

attachment.php

And my 770G....

169060d1295543172-770g-jpg

Last edited:
The squarish top cover with the Homelite sticker is correct. The rounded one was probably last used, I think, on the 7-19/7-21 saws--for sure, my 700G has the square style cover.

Chris B.

I have four of that series and thier ALL missing that cover over the recoil :(
anybody got a spare cover ??

Almost all of the Homelites that use that style of starter are missing that cover. Guys pulled them off to get to the starter guts, then never put 'em back on. A fellow here or on another site was talking about having a batch stamped. Don't know what happened with that. As for people with spares.................the only fellow I know with a spare one uses it for an ashtray for his Havatampas. He's not allowed on this site anymore either........

Almost all of the Homelites that use that style of starter are missing that cover. Guys pulled them off to get to the starter guts, then never put 'em back on. A fellow here or on another site was talking about having a batch stamped. Don't know what happened with that. As for people with spares.................the only fellow I know with a spare one uses it for an ashtray for his Havatampas. He's not allowed on this site anymore either........

I guess posting MAC pics in the Homie thread really was offensive...

Chris B.

Funny, these can be tough to find and expensive but now and then one pops up at a very reasonable cost. i had seen them go for $35+ alone. After watching for about a year and a half, I found a whole starter assembly and housing with the cover - got the whole thing for $15 shipped. Had to straighten out a few dings. I did that by tapping them out while holding it against a folded up towel.

LOL!:D

Yes it was, but he was just showing "tough love" by kicking us in the butt to post more Homelite pics. He's a Homelite nut too (although he struggles with the 'duality' of his old saw addiction)....:cheers:

Duality sums it up. I have some of that myself, owning both brands. There are only two brands of saws, right?
I know well the tough love handed out, I am a better man for it.

I forgot that Eccentric has meet Randy, I am left wondering, which one of him showed up? If the eyes are any kind of green, you are ok. That hard, cold blue means big trouble, yes I have seen that.

Hmmmm, can't get a pic of the 925 to load, will try later.

A friend of mine gave me a Super Wiz 55. It looks pretty decent but, it's missing the entire recoil assembly, anybody have one laying around that they'd be willing to part with?

I'll try to get pics up this evening.

I have a line on a starter assembly but, still need the screen and starter cup. Anyone have either laying around?

That's not carved in stone. I've set them as close as .005" using typing paper. You must have good main bearings for that close. Sloppy mains I set at .015" using (greeting) cardstock. Just cut a rectangle of paper, put it between the magnet and coil, loosen the coil mounting bolts and the magnet(s) will grab the coil. Tighten the screws and you're ready to go.

67L36Driver is right on with his post.

Using a shim under both poles ensures easy and even setting. Be sure to hold the coil firmly while tightening the screws - they may have a tendency to twist the coil back a little.

Tom (my son) got his 150 running, thanks in part to some good advice. Turned out the condensor was the culprit. Fooled him alittle,though. He had good spark prior to putting the motor back in the case. Then, no spark. The kill switch and the coil (plug) wire shorted each other and killed the spark. Moved the coil wire and had spark again. 7-10 pulls later it ran! No carb kit, no new fuel lines. This saw has never seen ethanol-blended gas and was stored dry years ago. The picture I'll attempt to attach is the "muffler" as it was when he got it. It is a short nipple welded to thin plate, then used the original muffler screws to attach. Somehow,whether with a muffler or this pipe nipple, this saw is loud! Thanks again for the advice. The price was worth it LOL.
View attachment 169330

Tom (my son) got his 150 running, thanks in part to some good advice. Turned out the condensor was the culprit. Fooled him alittle,though. He had good spark prior to putting the motor back in the case. Then, no spark. The kill switch and the coil (plug) wire shorted each other and killed the spark. Moved the coil wire and had spark again. 7-10 pulls later it ran! No carb kit, no new fuel lines. This saw has never seen ethanol-blended gas and was stored dry years ago. The picture I'll attempt to attach is the "muffler" as it was when he got it. It is a short nipple welded to thin plate, then used the original muffler screws to attach. Somehow,whether with a muffler or this pipe nipple, this saw is loud! Thanks again for the advice. The price was worth it LOL.
View attachment 169330

Must have been a plumber's saw.

Let's see an overall pic of the saw.

Duality sums it up. I have some of that myself, owning both brands. There are only two brands of saws, right?
I know well the tough love handed out, I am a better man for it.

I forgot that Eccentric has meet Randy, I am left wondering, which one of him showed up? If the eyes are any kind of green, you are ok. That hard, cold blue means big trouble, yes I have seen that.

Hmmmm, can't get a pic of the 925 to load, will try later.

I also share that duality, and for the most part there are only two saw brands...LOL. Monos, Pioneers, Remingtons, and the old Poulans certainly have merit too. As for your question about 'which' Randy came to our mini-GTG.........well...

For the most part, he was the green-eyed, story-filled character who was happy to share his experiences along with several PBR's with a friend he'd only known previously by phone and email for the last several years. Annie was with him, and I'm sure that helped more than a bit.

I could see a flash of the other Randy in the Shadows. Mostly when discussions turned to pollitics and the idiocy that's taking hold in the world. I'm glad he never came out because of anything stupid I did (made a serious effort to keep that from happening). I'd also be glad to have the 'other' Randy around if things got ugly in the local bar...

I also share that duality, and for the most part there are only two saw brands...LOL. Monos, Pioneers, Remingtons, and the old Poulans certainly have merit too. As for your question about 'which' Randy came to our mini-GTG.........well...

For the most part, he was the green-eyed, story-filled character who was happy to share his experiences along with several PBR's with a friend he'd only known previously by phone and email for the last several years. Annie was with him, and I'm sure that helped more than a bit.

I could see a flash of the other Randy in the Shadows. Mostly when discussions turned to pollitics and the idiocy that's taking hold in the world. I'm glad he never came out because of anything stupid I did (made a serious effort to keep that from happening). I'd also be glad to have the 'other' Randy around if things got ugly in the local bar...

Aaron
I've never met him, or you for that matter. But unless there is something medically wrong (bipolar, for instance) the two halves make the whole. I'm sure he feels as though hes put up with enough goofiness in this world and doesn't want to as much anymore. You both seem like hail fellows, well met and I would be scared to do anything stupid in front of those I hold in high esteem also. I'd like to have a PBR with either of you, I'd manage to drink em somehow if it meant you all would continue to spin yarns.

Aaron
I've never met him, or you for that matter. But unless there is something medically wrong (bipolar, for instance) the two halves make the whole. I'm sure he feels as though hes put up with enough goofiness in this world and doesn't want to as much anymore. You both seem like hail fellows, well met and I would be scared to do anything stupid in front of those I hold in high esteem also. I'd like to have a PBR with either of you, I'd manage to drink em somehow if it meant you all would continue to spin yarns.

Well said Jeff, and thank you. Like Randy, my two halves are more 'distinct' than some. My eyes are brown, so they don't change color. They just go black (from what I'm told). The family calls this "the grumpy bear". I'm working to keep him more in check. Randy is indeed one hell of a guy, and I count myself lucky for having met him and being able to call him my friend. Come out to the PNW GTG in June and you'll be able to meet both of us, as well as many other memorable characters.

If you're ever out this way, I'll take you to the Rusian River Brewing Company or the Bear Republic Brewing company, where you can sample some brews that are a bit more flavorful than PBR. PBR's just seem like the right thing to drink while sitting around a campfire and talkin' old chainsaws and trucks however. It's the right tool for the job!:D

I owe the old guy a great deal, with little hope of repaying more than the interest. I think I got a gallon of his blood when I was sick, once it was a direct transfusion, I gained strength almost instantly. It is far more than that though, I really should not go into it here.
I think Randy is tri-polar, he runs a figure 8 pattern around the extremes, both are trouble, you have to catch the balanced one in the middle. I have seen the cold one twice, once when he took me to the ER, it was triggered by "have a seat, we will get back to you" that went over well. To see someone you love and trust change so quickly into something else, is more than spooky.
I hear little Ray, need to go.

View attachment 169437
Must have been a plumber's saw.

Let's see an overall pic of the saw.

OK, here ya go. Keep in mind, not a restoration but mearly a resurection. Check out the bumper spike!
The carcass in the background is a blue 150. It had been stored near ice melt and had serious corrosion issues to the outer case. It donated the condensor Tom needed to get the red one going. Everything inside of the case looked better than the red saw.

Latest posts

Back