Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why but I'm having a problem viewing pictures. I'm a paying member so I don't know what's going on, this is what I see.
d15d3b6aadc32ec53d9559ded04fc62b.jpg

A small update on this seized 700-D that I mentioned in the Mac thread.
So, I started working on this yesterday by getting the rusty old bar and chain off along with getting access to the spark plug. Upon taking the plug out, I discovered that the piston is near the top of the cylinder. It was late in the day at this point, so I filled up the remaining cylinder space with some mystery oil and left it for the night.

I just checked on it not too long ago and saw that almost all the mystery oil was gone. I got the muffler(if you can even call it one lol) off and noticed that not only is the oil working its way down and coating the piston, but the limited view of the piston itself is looking pretty decent. Gives me some hope that this one won't be a massive challenge to get running again.
700Dexhaust.jpg
Now my current struggle is trying to figure out how to get this green flywheel cover off. I've gotten all the side screws around the sides that I can see, but it still feels like something is holding it on. Is there a hidden screw covered by the fuel tank or something dumb like that? Or is that one screw near the screen with the horribly stripped head holding it on?
700Dcover.jpg
By the way, how should I go about dealing with small spots of magnesium rot? I've tried digging around these forums with the search function, but so far I've only seen mentions of dead 404 links, or the use of chromic acid. I've tried finding sources of this chromic acid, but the only ones I'm seeing are from laboratory suppliers at $100-150+ for tiny bottles of the stuff. Way too expensive. Are there any alternatives out there?

A small update on this seized 700-D that I mentioned in the Mac thread.
So, I started working on this yesterday by getting the rusty old bar and chain off along with getting access to the spark plug. Upon taking the plug out, I discovered that the piston is near the top of the cylinder. It was late in the day at this point, so I filled up the remaining cylinder space with some mystery oil and left it for the night.

I just checked on it not too long ago and saw that almost all the mystery oil was gone. I got the muffler(if you can even call it one lol) off and noticed that not only is the oil working its way down and coating the piston, but the limited view of the piston itself is looking pretty decent. Gives me some hope that this one won't be a massive challenge to get running again.
View attachment 858214
Now my current struggle is trying to figure out how to get this green flywheel cover off. I've gotten all the side screws around the sides that I can see, but it still feels like something is holding it on. Is there a hidden screw covered by the fuel tank or something dumb like that? Or is that one screw near the screen with the horribly stripped head holding it on?
View attachment 858213
By the way, how should I go about dealing with small spots of magnesium rot? I've tried digging around these forums with the search function, but so far I've only seen mentions of dead 404 links, or the use of chromic acid. I've tried finding sources of this chromic acid, but the only ones I'm seeing are from laboratory suppliers at $100-150+ for tiny bottles of the stuff. Way too expensive. Are there any alternatives out there?
There is a screw holding the flywheel cover on underneath the fuel tank, accessed from the back of the saw via the carb area, if its anything like the gear drives of the period.

Failing that then, Rocketnorton is correct, the starter should be removed. Its been a while since I had one of those apart.

View attachment 858213

You don't really have to take the starter apart to get the recoil cover off. Pry off that sheet metal cover over the recoil spring so you have more clearance to wriggle spring around the ball starter. Double-check you got all the screws off the green cover. May be 5 or 6. Like the other guy said, there's one under the tank. Also, the wrap handle may be clamped to the cover--at least on later saws. No, the stripped screw isn't holding the cover on. If you try to get that loose, be careful hammering it or you'll crack the cover.

If you're trying to get at the flywheel, you only need to pull the screen. If you're cleaning the saw, pulling the tank is probably a good idea regardless.

Also, you’ll need to modify a thin 7/16? wrench to undo the cylinder nuts.
Homelite (and everyone else who copied them) seems to be famous for that. I've only had to pull a few cylinders from these saws and have never needed to modify a wrench to remove the nuts. So far I haven't found any that were very tight, either.

Well, I got that bulky gas tank off, and sure enough there was one last screw hiding underneath the thing. Seems pretty counterintuitive, but at least I can proceed on taking the thing further apart now.
Thanks for all the good advice!

Really nice Chris!

Thanks. Caught hell with the fuel tank. Looked clean through the cap but when I cranked it, started sucking grit into the carb. Tank came off and I split it to find corrosion under the felt pickup. Blasted that and then took 3 tries to seal up the tank. Resorted to making a gasket.

Latest posts

Back