Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good. Nice saws to work on. Those seals you got, looking up the SKF numbers they don't appear to use garter springs. I know 7414 is one of the correct seals. Not sure about the flywheel seal.

Looks good. Nice saws to work on. Those seals you got, looking up the SKF numbers they don't appear to use garter springs. I know 7414 is one of the correct seals. Not sure about the flywheel seal.

Yes no springs on those. I brought the cases to my local bearing distributer and they measured and that's what they gave me.
I do have a few different ones coming online that I will try if these do not work or last. I will share them when they arrive

Some more progress on the Super 2100 today. Cleaned up the rest of the bigger parts and addressed the tank. Someone before me really gave it the butcher treatment. I decided to tap the holes and use some nice stainless socket cap screws. Cleaned up the sealing surface too.

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I bought this poor,beat up,neglected XL-12 a couple of weeks ago that had a broken handle bracket & a broken air filter cover.It needed a new fuel line & grommets & a carb rebuild.I put in the grommets & FUEL LINE WHEN i HAD A FEW MINUTES AT NIGHT AFTER CUTTING WOOD.i GOT THE BRACKET TODAY & INSTALLED IT & PUT THE REBUILT CARB BACK IN.tHE CARB TURNED OUT TO BE QUITE THE FIASCO.i NO MORE THAN LOOKED AT THE METERING SPRING & IT JUMPED & HIT MY BELLY & IT WAS GONE INTO NEVER NEVER LAND.i SQUEEGEIED THE FLOOR 3 TIMES & DIDN'T FIND IT.i HAD TO PULL ANOTHER sdc CARB APART & ROB THE SPRING OUT OF IT.i NOTICED THE INLET ELBOW WAS very LOOSE & WOULD COME RIGHT OUT OF THE CARB.i TAPPED IT BACK IN & THOUGHT i HAD IT IN GOOD....TILL i WENT TO PUT THE FUEL LINE ON.i FUELED IT UP & OF COURSE IT WOULDN'T START.i HAD TO PRIME THE SAW & IT'D RUN FORT A BIT,THERN JUST DIE OUT,IT'S LOSING IT'S PRIME AT THAT ELBOW.nOW i'LL HAVE TO PULL THE CARB AGAIN & TRANSFER ALL THE PARTS BACK OVER INTO THE OTHER sdc CARB.pita!(sorry about the caps lock)

Update on the XL-12,I put the rebuilt Zama carb in it & it runs like a champ.Today I put the cotter pin in the choke rod,put a spike on it I found,& put a bar & chain on it.I ghad it full of fuel yesterday & couldn't figure out why I kept smelling gas.I went to fire it up today & it onl;y sputtered 3 times.I chgecked & the tasnk was empty.The tank has a leak in it somewhere.I'll try the Red Kote thing & see if that works.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 0
Update on the XL-12,I put the rebuilt Zama carb in it & it runs like a champ.Today I put the cotter pin in the choke rod,put a spike on it I found,& put a bar & chain on it.I ghad it full of fuel yesterday & couldn't figure out why I kept smelling gas.I went to fire it up today & it onl;y sputtered 3 times.I chgecked & the tasnk was empty.The tank has a leak in it somewhere.I'll try the Red Kote thing & see if that works.
I had a later model like that with the zama on it and thought it was snappy with the zama.

Here's a saw ya don't see everyday,an XP-1000.I bought it about 3 yrs.ago & didn't do anything with it except a new fuel line & filter.It took a bit to get it going again,especially the overrunning bearing starter.(PITA) I also bought a Carlton 30 in.bar with a .404 chain that I think was used once & I put that on the saw yesterday.What a beast!

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 0
I have been tasked with fixing a few Super 2's, are the points coils commonly subject to failure? Seems I'm 3 replacement coils for 3 saws so far. Will the electronic coil from the later saws work on the points models? Do you need to use the electronic saw flywheel with the electronic coils?

On a related matter, will the fully adjustable (H/L) carburetor work in place of the fixed H carburetors used on the early saws?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Just some simple testing today, the electronic coil will spark with the points flywheel but I did not confirm the timing as I was just checking on a short block out of the saw.

I need to learn more about the oiler, one out of three does not oil. I tried applying pressure to the oil tank but I guess I don't understand the function of the diaphragm/piston...I can't seem to get oil to pass through the connections on the crankcase.

Mark

Just some simple testing today, the electronic coil will spark with the points flywheel but I did not confirm the timing as I was just checking on a short block out of the saw.

I need to learn more about the oiler, one out of three does not oil. I tried applying pressure to the oil tank but I guess I don't understand the function of the diaphragm/piston...I can't seem to get oil to pass through the connections on the crankcase.

Mark

Attachments

• A4558FBE-C386-43B2-8A5F-3388DC175877.jpeg
    A4558FBE-C386-43B2-8A5F-3388DC175877.jpeg
    842.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1ECD23A6-B252-4150-A67B-C3C81CB6EBC6.jpeg
    1ECD23A6-B252-4150-A67B-C3C81CB6EBC6.jpeg
    651.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 23F1C281-817D-4255-A674-D257FC7893C1.jpeg
    23F1C281-817D-4255-A674-D257FC7893C1.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks again Greg, the diagram is very helpful. I had surmised it must be something like that with a check valve at the outlet. I will try some additional cleaning through the oil inlet as it seems either the check valve is stuck or there is some blockage in there preventing the oil from flowing through to the outlet. Of the four I have worked on recently, the diaphragm on this one is the most limber, but the spring seems a bit stiff. I think I will try a different spring (and maybe a different diaphragm as well) to see if any of those remedies will get the oil flowing again.

As I thought about this after dismantling the saw, someone had bypassed the diaphragm circuit on this saw and had the other end of the pick up line routed directly to the bar pad...I guess they were having issues with the diaphragm and check valve as well.

Mark

Back