Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a couple more shiny bars to oggle till the 5-30N is ready. :D

CIMG3401.jpg

CIMG3402.jpg

Yer hittin' my "jealous button" again Ric! I take it you purchased the 5-30N bar in the pic above my little E-Z bar?

A guy is coming over next week to the house (business stuff)and and last time I met up with him I was telling him about some of the chainsaws I have picked up and he said he had one he would bring me. This was a couple of weeks and he called today.

Said it was a big blue homelite. No auto oiler. Was there that many blue Homelite models?
He said he was pretty sure he had it in his shed and would bring it this next Tuesday. He said it used to run very well but thinks it no longer has spark.

Any guess on the model?

There are all kinds of blue Homelites, some of them were big, very big.
Could be a C5.

Theres C-51 and 52, Zip, Super wiz 55 and 66, there's a few more.

I agree...:agree2:

LeeH has a blue 900 series geardrive, few saw are bigger than those.

That would be in keeping with the kind of luck Shane has had lately finding saws...:D

The guy saw my SuperXL and said it was bigger than that one.

I doubt it is a gear drive although that would be very cool. He said he cut down a bunch of big cottonwood trees with it. THe story goes he was doing landscaping for a (old man) customer and the guy came out after they were finished and said do you want this and handed it to him.

I sure hope he finds it in his shed.

My money's on a C5/C51/C52 as the other Gents stated. See my avatar pic...:cheers:

Second guess would be a Zip.

Third most likely would be a Wiz (a gear drive Zip).

While those three aren't HUGE saws for us Magnesium-Heads, they are much bigger and heavier than what 'modern' saw users are familiar with. Homelite sold the C5-52 and Zip saws by the thousands. They were popular 'general use' saws sold to ranchers, farmers, and the like. They were the true "farm boss" long before Stihl used that term for some of their saws...:msp_lol:

Ok, I promised a video of the 770D in some wood so here it is

[video=youtube;iXQp_6W7I_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXQp_6W7I_8[/video]

I have to iron out a clutch issue but other than that all I have to say is "what a toad" I had to really push on it to get it to bog down with the new .404 full comp chain. This thing throws chips every where I may have to take it in the woods to show it off a little.

Last edited:
A guy is coming over next week to the house (business stuff)and and last time I met up with him I was telling him about some of the chainsaws I have picked up and he said he had one he would bring me. This was a couple of weeks and he called today.

Said it was a big blue homelite. No auto oiler. Was there that many blue Homelite models?
He said he was pretty sure he had it in his shed and would bring it this next Tuesday. He said it used to run very well but thinks it no longer has spark.

Any guess on the model?

I have a Blue XL700, I think it's 77cc, that's bigger than my Blue XL12. Joe.

Would it be more accurate to describe these as 9-series. Reason being, the name rather excludes the 9-23 and 9-26. To me, the 900 series covers the big XL models. (Of which I have only one.)

Chris B.

Interesting point you have raised Chris. The XL models are indeed a 900 series machine. I guess you could say that there are three classes here:

1) 9-series: Covers the 2 x 100cc models - 9-23 and 9-26
2) 900 series: Covers the 112cc models - 900G/D, 909G/D, 990G/D and the 995G/D
3) XL900 series: Covers the XL925 etc.

The 900 series saws such as the 900G and 990D etc have no other way of denoting themselves other than the 'D' or 'G', which is the same as their smaller 700 series brothers like the 707G. The 900 series also differ in capacity to the 9- series and so (IMO) should be in a series of their own.

Regards,

Chris.

Interesting point you have raised Chris. The XL models are indeed a 900 series machine. I guess you could say that there are three classes here:

The 900 series saws such as the 900G and 990D etc have no other way of denoting themselves other than the 'D' or 'G', which is the same as their smaller 700 series brothers like the 707G. The 900 series also differ in capacity to the 9- series and so (IMO) should be in a series of their own.

Regards,

Chris.

I'd say 2 classes. If you're going to separate the 9-23/9-26 from the others solely because of displacement, you may as well consider the 650 and 750 Homelites different saws as well. So many features of the 9-series were carried over or improved through the entire run. Displacement was simply the first modification. The air filter/rear handle/gearbox is identical between the first 2, but changed with the 909.

For my purposes, calling them 9-series encompasses all 10 saws.

Chris B.

We're counting how many angels can fit on the end of a pin here.....

Regards,

Chris.

I agree that Homelite's model naming system sucks. For some models (like the C-Series) it actualy made sense. Now, using and reusing "XL" in every way immaginable has caused confusion between the '2' saws and the real XL12/SXL saws. Is it a crappy little clamshell-case 30-ish cc top handle saw, or is it a beefy rear handle 58cc saw? Always have to ask that question every time somebody asks "How do I fix my Homelite XL" questons. It get's tiresome....:monkey:

Reusing "EZ" (but with a hyphen as in "E-Z" that almost everybody drops) has caused more confusion. Is it a 5.02ci "old school" saw or a 2.1 or 2.5ci handy little sucker that should have been labled an "XL-1" in the US, like it was up in the Great White North, the UK, and Australia? Gotta see a pic.

The "large" XL600/700/800/900 series saws share many parts with each other (although there were LOTS of changes throughout the line's lifespan) and can be considered a series of their own.

The XL550/650/750 series and the XL76/100-series are yet more rehashes of the 'XL' designation.

Then there's the whole 9-23/9-26 and 900/909/990/995 D/G series fiasco. While the displacements are different between the 6.1ci "hyphen" saws and the 6.8ci 'nine hundreds'..................they are in the same family and many parts do interchange. They're all covered by one IPL (an extensive one at that). The IPL also lists all of the dozens of interchange "dos and don'ts" (in the HUGE footnotes sections) such as what's needed to put the bigger P/C on the 'hypen' saws, what air filter must be used with each model, and what to do when putting a non-governor carb from the later saws on the earier ones. Maybe we can call this series the "Big Nine's"......................:D

Last edited:
Since pin heads are generally round, I'd say an infinite number of angles. But if you mean angels, you're absolutely right. Probably only half a dozen people in the world care one way or the other about what to call these saws.

Chris B.

but what if you are only a few cc from being 6 cube. is there a waiver?

I would have liked my 770 to be a G but I will take the D and keep looking.

Hlite RR tie grinder

Was contacted by the owner of this "thing" . he works for the RR and they let him have it.
he said years ago he used it for some reason to grind on railroad ties..
i asked if if was a cutoff saw modified and he said no,was made specifically by homelite for the railroads to do one job.grind on rails..for whatever reason i dont know and didnt ask..
he said they had to have a new p&c quit awhile back and they sent it in and bill was over $1k,,he said about 1/2 the price of what it cost new..
now i'm only repeating what i was was told and never heard of a rail grinder before so dont hold ME responsable for what i'm passing on..
he was adamant about the fact these were a special unit made only for the railroads.. i dunno ??
anybody ever see one ??
i havent asked yet what he wants for it..
these are the pix he sent me..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Smarty;)

JD and I had a Homie race. My mint SEZ beat his Zip LOL. The crowd got a kick out of it.

You're right Mitch. You'll notice I deleted the post you're refering to while you were typing. It was a pointless post (mine not yours) and fueled by left over frustration from a hole supervisors at work................and more than a bit of the brown liquer (that I am trying to use to wash away said frustration).:cheers:

Latest posts

Back