Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homelite didn't publish any information on how to decode 7-digit serial numbers, but you could look on the carburetor for a date.

OK Just had to... Lost track but this is number 8 or 9 I think? Second Blue. Starts and runs but no power, hits wood and bogs down. Gas was trash so a carb cleaning and we'll see.
How do we date the 7 digit serial numbers?
Good Idea.
Could it be 1963?

Attachments

• 20181007_172258.jpg
    20181007_172258.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16
Nice find Tim. Looks like an earlier one on the left. External adjust, black fuel cap, rear grip and grip start. Points? I picked up a couple more on the cheap in the summer. Can't pass them up. One appears to be an electronic version with small module/coil. First of that for me. Haven't dug into it yet. Although the Husky coils work well in place of the Prestolites, I really enjoy pulling the starter covers off for the first time and not automatically seeing blue.

The saw with the external idle adjust is a points saw. It was chipped. I had a set of points and condenser from one of the parts saws but after several attempts to sort the points out I finally put the chip back in. The points were very rough and I haven't tested the condenser yet.
It runs very well with the chip but bites back with a weak pull.

The second one is a blue coil saw. One of the 50150 versions. It had spark when I bought it but when I got around to it today, the coil was dead. The second time that's happened to me. A fuel line, filter and the Husky coil and all is well. The carb had been recently kitted.

Interestingly, the points saw has a six shoe clutch. One of the parts saws has a large three shoe clutch. Same drum as the 6 shoe. I haven't seen that before.
I have one other 76 with a six shoe clutch.

Strange that the only Homelite I've picked up with an OEM spike is the Super 650.

I think I'll stop buying XL-76's. I am almost as carried away as I got with the 3400 / 3800/ 3700 Poulans.

The saw with the external idle adjust is a points saw. It was chipped. I had a set of points and condenser from one of the parts saws but after several attempts to sort the points out I finally put the chip back in. The points were very rough and I haven't tested the condenser yet.
It runs very well with the chip but bites back with a weak pull.

The second one is a blue coil saw. One of the 50150 versions. It had spark when I bought it but when I got around to it today, the coil was dead. The second time that's happened to me. A fuel line, filter and the Husky coil and all is well. The carb had been recently kitted.

Interestingly, the points saw has a six shoe clutch. One of the parts saws has a large three shoe clutch. Same drum as the 6 shoe. I haven't seen that before.
I have one other 76 with a six shoe clutch.

Strange that the only Homelite I've picked up with an OEM spike is the Super 650.

I think I'll stop buying XL-76's. I am almost as carried away as I got with the 3400 / 3800/ 3700 Poulans.

Interesting on the clutches. I've some with the larger clutches as well. I prefer them over the S-style - two of which have let go on me. Perhaps the larger were a carry over from the earlier 1xx series? I've some OEM rim drums I need to fit up. I haven't looked in a while, but iirc, I need to find a different race/bearing. Same thing with trying to fit the Oregon rims onto the xl-1's. I have to get the larger race? I wonder if it were more common out here in BC to have saws set up with OEM spikes. Only one of the many 76/130's I've been into did not have one equipped.

I too, have gotten carried away with the 76/130 (xl-1/super mini). They keep finding a way home. My biggest problem is storage. I've tried, but saws don't stack very well when you've run out of shelving options.

Interesting on the clutches. I've some with the larger clutches as well. I prefer them over the S-style - two of which have let go on me. Perhaps the larger were a carry over from the earlier 1xx series? I've some OEM rim drums I need to fit up. I haven't looked in a while, but iirc, I need to find a different race/bearing. Same thing with trying to fit the Oregon rims onto the xl-1's. I have to get the larger race? I wonder if it were more common out here in BC to have saws set up with OEM spikes. Only one of the many 76/130's I've been into did not have one equipped.

I too, have gotten carried away with the 76/130 (xl-1/super mini). They keep finding a way home. My biggest problem is storage. I've tried, but saws don't stack very well when you've run out of shelving options.[/QUOTE]

I measured up the inner race on my large 3 shoe clutch. ID is .441", OD is .561" length is.532 " The sprocket hub ID is .686" No PN on the bearing but length is>4955"

I do believe the race required for the XL-1's over to a three shoe clutch is the set up for a Super Mini or Super EZ. That will allow use of the Oregon Power Mate 30672.

I haven't messed around with spacers and bearings on the 76's but do have a couple of Oregon 30672 sprockets on them.

Don't hold me to it but I see the six shoe clutch on the 925 shares shoes and springs with the 6 shoe on my VI200 which has the same crank as a 76. The spider is different as would be expected.

Already out out of shelf space and have a few on the floor two in the garage and what a mess.

DSCF3847.JPG DSCF3848.JPG DSCF3849.JPG DSCF3850.JPG

I too, have gotten carried away with the 76/130 (xl-1/super mini). They keep finding a way home. My biggest problem is storage. I've tried, but saws don't stack very well when you've run out of shelving options.

I measured up the inner race on my large 3 shoe clutch. ID is .441", OD is .561" length is.532 " The sprocket hub ID is .686" No PN on the bearing but length is>4955"

I do believe the race required for the XL-1's over to a three shoe clutch is the set up for a Super Mini or Super EZ. That will allow use of the Oregon Power Mate 30672.

I haven't messed around with spacers and bearings on the 76's but do have a couple of Oregon 30672 sprockets on them.

Don't hold me to it but I see the six shoe clutch on the 925 shares shoes and springs with the 6 shoe on my VI200 which has the same crank as a 76. The spider is different as would be expected.

Already out out of shelf space and have a few on the floor two in the garage and what a mess.

View attachment 680286 View attachment 680287 View attachment 680288 View attachment 680289[/QUOTE]
That's a mess?.. Taint nutten mister.. Dis be a messIMG_20180822_125122.jpg

View attachment 680286 View attachment 680287 View attachment 680288 View attachment 680289

Thanks for the info Tim. It is reassuring to see I am not alone in the storage department. Dibs if you ever get tired of stubbing your toes. I hear those large CV's can really smart if they catch you just right.

One of my Super XL Autos stopped today. No spark. I have searched and read about the ign coils and have looked on e-bay and there is only one available.
My question is did these ever come with points and how hard is it convert? Also would need part numbers. I tried the oven thing on 300* for 10 minutes and it did work for about 5 minutes then stopped again with no spark!

I have also seen some after market ignition chips. Do they work?

10 minutes is not long enough, try 250 for an hour. All the older units were points, XL-12 on up would fit. You need the coil, bracket, points, condenser and flywheel, hopefully from the same saw to be sure they mate up. Of course you could find a parts saw with the electronic that works in it. Probably cheaper than buying the parts separate. New replacements are available too I am pretty sure. Can't put my finger on the source just now however, someone will know.

One of my Super XL Autos stopped today. No spark. I have searched and read about the ign coils and have looked on e-bay and there is only one available.
My question is did these ever come with points and how hard is it convert? Also would need part numbers. I tried the oven thing on 300* for 10 minutes and it did work for about 5 minutes then stopped again with no spark!

I have also seen some after market ignition chips. Do they work?

These guys are making them again. $53.00 last time I looked.

17353375_10202704177361847_5602770287046934053_n.jpg

I adapted a Chinese Husky coil to an XL-76 with the blue coil and I think it works better than the original. A bit of fabrication involved. The one above from Standard Magneto is a direct replacement.

If you wanted to chip it I think you would have to buy a points coil. I think the Standard Magneto one would be comparable to the points coil and a chip in cost.

Latest posts

Back