Homelite EZ - Carb issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennschumann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was given an older Homelite EZ (not Super) and it needed a bit of work. It didn't idle, so I cleaned the carbon out of the exhaust port, and now it idles great, but it still has a problem with starting right after a shut down.

If I shut it off, I need to start it within a few seconds, or I have to let it cool for 10 minutes before it will start again. I don't know if it is vapor lock(my first thought) or if it is flooding out because something in the carb or elsewhere is goofy. Has anybody else had experience fixing something like this? I've cleaned out the dust from around the fuel line, and the vent in the gas cap is open, but I haven't opened the carb yet.

This saw has a thousand miles on it, but otherwise runs well

As always, thanks in advance to the collective wisdom of AS.

a clogged up air filter will cause a hard starting issue also

also check that plug like mike suggested if these two things dont get it then let us know we can go from there to see what can be causing it

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts folks. The air filter is clean, but the plug may be old... really old. The teeth on the drum have 1/8" slots worn in them.

Other thoughts are welcome too.

Thanks!

change the plug then and see if she starts right up after it sets for a minute then we know if that was the problem

if that dont correct it then we have to go further in troubleshooting but get the basics first

The saw currently has a Champion CJ8 plug in it. Acres says it should have a DJ-6J. Might this be the problem? The plug looks good - light brown and it runs well, but maybe the difference could make it hard to start when hot? Anybody else encountered something like this?

Thanks!

yes that could be the probem wrong plug
i sell them on my store for $ 1.97

a ngk BM7F is the same plug as the DJ6J and bosch is a HS5E im going to have the ngk bosch champion ac autolite all on my store right now champion is all i have but i will have almost all them listed

cause i think if people order a spark plug at the same time they order it saves on shipping

calvin

Thanks for the suggestions. The saw came with a box of spare parts, including 4 spark plugs. There was one of the right type, so I put it in, and everything seems to work well now. Thanks for the knowledgeable advice!

P.S. the right plug is probably the original one that came with the saw... :)

Latest posts

Back