homelite orig EZ.. anything interchange?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey all, trying to find a usable piston & cyl for this 50's homelite EZ i have. will any others fit? i notice the ZIP series is somewhat similar, and a few others.. but are they close enough that a cyl would bolt up and piston fit?
the ZIP-5 looks to be the same bore and stroke.. how about reeds for these old buggers?also need the inside exhaust baffle/outlet plate. piston in mine has a BIG slice out of the exhaust side from extreme carbon buildup that looks like it tried to seal the exhaust up. if i cant find a piston/cyl.. anybody need parts? the rest of the saw is in great condition!

The 4-20 and model 17, some of the Wiz and Zip models have a 2" bore, 1-1/2" stroke and will fit, but be a little less cubes. Some of the Wiz models had a 1-3/8 stroke, and won't work. The EZ, and EZ-6, plus the model 600 used the 2-1/16" bore, same as the 5-20, so parts from these will be exact interchange. Most of them used a muffler with part of it cast with the cylinder housing with a skimpy little baffle and spark arrestor under another cover. Kinda worthless. I think some of the Wiz and Zip models might have had even less of a muff!

Dig around on the Chainsaw Collector site...you may find more. There were a fair number of EZ-6's sold near me, but the only 600 I ever saw was in my uncless garage in Oregon...yet it was pretty much inditinguishable from the EZ-6! Homie may have had a number of other saws using the same basic motor design.

They designed a saw so that most parts would interchange, which makes life MUCH easier when stocking parts to fix, cause one part fits MANY differnt saws instead of being limited to one like a Mac 35 sprocket being limited to ONLY that model of saw. I kind of notice these things, its nice though. cause you can pillage from a parts saw and the parts will work on another supposedly differnt saw.

I am sure someone will prove me wrong but I believe Homelite built the most number of saws based on model number. Not to say they made the most saws they just used the most model numbers. They also used some numbers too often. The EZ "original", EZ-6, EZ "Late", and Super EZ are different saws. Nothing like reusing numbers.

Bill

I think the saw most of us know as the "super EZ" began as the EZ-XL, a little brother to the old "XL" back about 1963 or 64. After a couple of years the XL became the super XL and got a few more CC's; the EZ-XL became the super-EZ and got bigger too.

I agree with you; Homie had a lot of confusion in their naming/numbering schemes, and had a lot of different names for the same saw. There were even different names for the same saw depending on the distribution channel...how many names were there for those little teapot saws? The Super-EZ was an XL-1 in Canada, but the XL-2 teapot saw was also called the XL and sold in all the box stores.

The Old EZ & the EZ-6 used P/N A55599 Piston Assy and P/N 55490, superceded by P/N56182A. There were several others that also used this same combo.

Whoops... missed part
The Old EZ & the EZ-6 used P/N A55599 Piston Assy and THE CYLINDER P/N 55490, superceded by P/N56182A. There were several others that also used this same combo.

Latest posts

Back