Homelite Super 2 no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got it running! Rechecked the coil and readings #1 & #3 were the same. Not sure what was causing the no spark condition before I started messing with it (the wire coming from the condenser had damaged insulation and I could see the bare wire, so I suspect that was it) but after swapping in the points from the other saw, I didn't check the gap. Set the gap to 0.015 and away we went. I didn't want to rail on it too hard because the kids are asleep, but it sounds like it runs ok.

I noticed a decent amount of what I presume is bar oil on the bench. Not sure if it leaked out when I had it sitting upright or on its side with the flywheel pointed up. Is this normal?
What's normal is for almost every chainsaw to leak bar oil. On the little Homelites you can either drain the oil when you're done using it or at least loosen the oil cap. Loosening the oil cap relieves the pressure in the tank so it won't push oil out.

What's normal is for almost every chainsaw to leak bar oil. On the little Homelites you can either drain the oil when you're done using it or at least loosen the oil cap. Loosening the oil cap relieves the pressure in the tank so it won't push oil out.
Ah awesome, thank you!

When working on chainsaws on the workbench and other greasy, nasty oily things I have a large metal cookie pan with about 1/2 inch side lip and really handy and it will catch any small parts and also traps dirt grease and will keep tools handy and keeps the nasty stuff off the workbench and I can just leave the item in the tray when I'm away and not be concerned about oil leaks.

For chainsaws that still have bar in place I have a larger diameter plastic molasses barrel lids that is about 18 inches in diameter and it has a outside lip about 1 inch high. I get these free from ranchers and co-ops.'
I also use the lids and trays to set chainsaws in during storage if not in a case and any leakage is caught in the lids of pans instead of going onto the floor or storage rack.

Leaks and oils drips from chainsaws is a normal thing.
As long as a chainsaw is oiling the bar good I NO LONGER try to stop bar oil leaks when they are not being used.

Latest posts

Back