homelite super 2 oil lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba j

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a homelite super 2 ut10653 i need help to determine how the two oil lines are hooked up where does the one with the duck bill go and wher does the one that has filter on it go i had to replace the one with the filter that goes in the bottom of tank and unhooked the other one and not sure if i hooked them back up correctly, i started it back up and it smokes real bad and seems like oil is coming out of exhaust and plug looks wet any pictures would be great

The one with the duckbill goes to the crankcase, those saws oil by pressurizing the oil tank with crankcase pressure. The duckbill is a check valve that keeps bar oil from being sucked into the crankcase... that's why your saw is smoking, it's sucking the bar oil into the crankcase.

i hate to soud really stupid but the fitting are close to each other one looks the a elbow and one is just a nipple so i think what u are saying is the one from the duck bill goes to the elbow fitting?

Here you go:
View attachment 198298
198298d1315448912-xl-oiler-jpg

i dont have a primer bulb, and there are 3 total lines from the oiler 2 lines coming out of tank and 1 going to bar,i found a picture on a older post that showed a picture looks like the line cross over each other and are not side by side

Some of these saws have a diaphragm type oil pump that's driven by crankcase pulses. For that one, the line with the filter goes to the pump, and the line to the bar goes from the pump. The duckbill line still goes to the crankcase fitting (on these saws, its purpose is to 'help' the oil pump get and stay primed).

Others in this series only have the duckbill line (which goes to the crankcase), and the other line that goes to the bar. The only oil 'pump' on these saws is the pressure that builds up in the oil tank when the engine's running (because the duckbill valve lets crankcase pulses in, but not out).

Still other 'deluxe' versions have an 'oil flow control valve' in the front base of the handle (in addition to the duckbill valve/crankcase line and the diaphragm pump. These have more lines. IIRC, the diaphragm pump feeds that valve, which then feeds the bar...

got oil lines hooked up right,but it is pouring oil out of exhaust and smoking terrible. the duck bill was replaced about two years ago what could be the problem

You got the lines wrong or depending on the oiler type, a bad diaphram. Do a search the line routing has been covered before.

Also it will take a tank or more of mix run thru the saw to purge all the oil from the crankcase and muffler.

You can turn the saw up on it's end and let the crankcase drain out the exhaust. It helps to remove the muffler for this operation. The last Super 2 I put hoses on I just plugged up the lines from the diaphragm and ran the duckbill in tank line to the block and the other one from the tank pickup to the bar, it worked just fine.
Look at the duckbill valve and make sure it's in good condition or the oiler won't work.

i finally got everything straight i had to order a sprocket got it and got oil lines straight everything is working good thanks for alll the help

You can turn the saw up on it's end and let the crankcase drain out the exhaust. It helps to remove the muffler for this operation. The last Super 2 I put hoses on I just plugged up the lines from the diaphragm and ran the duckbill in tank line to the block and the other one from the tank pickup to the bar, it worked just fine.
Look at the duckbill valve and make sure it's in good condition or the oiler won't work.

Do you know was size hose ID/OD you used to do this rerouting? My hoses are extremely brittle and seem expanded over time, do I don't trust the measurement I am getting something like .2 inch which is non standard.

Yes, they're a tiny 0.203" by .094", which is 13/64" by 3/32" for the little Homolites

Oregon #07-266 is a 25' roll if that helps

Great, thanks for the size info I found similar 2 foot long size on Ebay by searching for " Tygon Fuel Line" , not sure it will work or last but I will give it a try and post back.

If I remember right, the line that goes to the bar outlet has a small orifice fitting in it to regulate how much oil the bar receives. Make sure that you transfer that over from your old oil line.

Back