Homelite Super 2 quality?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieDave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought an old Homelite Super 2 about 6 months ago and I've been looking for some info on it. The UT is104552 and the serial is 782210244. Anybody know when this saw was made? It seems like a pretty good little saw as I only gave $40.00 for it with a full carrying case. What's the general opinion on these saws-is it worth the money and effort to repair if it goes down and is it worth my while to pick up a parts saw for it?

NewbieDave said:
I bought an old Homelite Super 2 about 6 months ago and I've been looking for some info on it. The UT is104552 and the serial is 782210244. Anybody know when this saw was made? It seems like a pretty good little saw as I only gave $40.00 for it with a full carrying case. What's the general opinion on these saws-is it worth the money and effort to repair if it goes down and is it worth my while to pick up a parts saw for it?

For the money they are nice little saws. I disslike that the high jet isn't adjustable. But they're light weight, and I like the dual trigger design. They also seem to last longer than any of the other small saws made in the 70's.

There is an infinite supply of $40 super 2s out there so in most cases its easier and cheaper to just pick up another one.

I have TONS of these little saws so if you need any parts or want another one let me know. I'm trying to clear space because they're taking over my homelite shelves :dizzy:

I just gave one away.
I found it difficult to start from Day 1 and it really didn't have much power.
I used mine for limbing.
Filling oil and gas was a pain because of location of the reservoir openings. Definitely use funnels, or you will make a huge mess.
Watch for the primer bulb, the little ring that connects the bulb cracks and leaks gas all over the saw.:dizzy:
Kind of hard to take apart for maintenance.
Bar adjustment isn't the best design either.

Home Depot has the Super 2 replacement, the 'Bandit' on clearance right now for $80 brand new near my work.

Good luck with it.

It is worth it if you like how it works when it works. If not then an echo may be in order. I dig them but then again I am willing to work on them. They are old saws now and require some work from time to time, as long as you can find the parts. Pre-primer bulb saws, metal case.

Thanks for the replies, guys. This is my first and only saw since I just became a landowner and need one for a variety of uses. (storm damage,wood stove,campfire wood) I expect that I might cut two to five cord a year. This saw came with a 16" bar and seems to do an adequate job as long as I don't expect it to cut more than it's designed for. Still curious about the age since I've noticed several design changes in this saw while prowling ebay and mine apperars older than some. Again, thanks for help-learning as I go!

The later model Super 2 had one trigger on it, early had 2. I own an earlier production Super 2. great little machine, as long as you dont expect it to be an 044 or the like, and treat it well. not bad for its size, though it could use a different style on the air filter.

Latest posts

Back