Homelite super EZ Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey, HomeDelight Man, I just acquired a Homelite Super EZ Automatic with serial #42810626 and it is in great shape. It used to be my step fathers and I think it is from the late 60's to mid 70's. It has about an 18" bar and runs very good except it likes to stall at idle. Can you provide any info on cubic inches, horsepower, and chain recommendations. Thanks

Hey there Huskyman, the Super EZ auto is 2.5 cubic inches and has a 4 reed pyrmid reed cage. The stalling at an idle is probally the carb. This model is prone for carb problems. The good news is that this saw shares the same bars as the smaller Husky's. I have many of these saws, I have one with a 13" Oregon Micro-lite bar that runs 95vp (.325" Narrow Pitch) with a 9 tooth sprocket. This set up is good for everything under 8". The "standard" on these saws is a 16" bar with a 3/8" full chisel chain, sporting a 7 tooth sprocket. This is the set up I suggest you use for an all-around type application. I am unsure of the horsepower as I have no Homelite literature that spells out horsepower. I feel that since the saw has a lot of torque, it doesn't matter what the horsepower is. These saws were produced until the mid 80's, if your saw has a plastic starter cover it was built in the 80's, if metal and it was blue I'd say late 60's, if metal and red probally 70's Good luck and let me know what you decide. Jonathan

HOMELITE Super EZ Auto

HUSKYMAN... like HomeDelight Man said about the 4 reed pyramid reed cage... Particularly if you have the blue one... the reeds need to be checked...they will wear to the point of splitting/breaking & you would rather not have the little pieces bouncing around in the cylinder area... I can give you the build date year on your saw if you can give me the S/N & UT#. Since they were last built in 1987, some of the parts are getting hard to find.

Thanks Bill and HomeDelight Man, it has the metal red and white cover which according to Homedelight Man means early 70's which i think is about right. The only number I could find on it was 42810626. If it is only 2.5 cubic inches it is the best cutting 2.5 I have ever used, I love it. It turns an 18" bar like it is 14.

S/N 42810626...Made 1974... they were selling like hotcakes back then, couldn't keep them in stock. Take good care of it...last made in 1987... parts becoming hard to find...

These little units really push out the power for being so small, take good care of it and it will last a long time.
Hey BillW these saws were pretty expensive right? I have my 1985 price sheet that says about $350 retail. High dollar unit, but if you have ever used one you know why. Jonathan

Hey HUSKYMAN, How is the Super EZ doing? Which bar and chain combo did you use? Let me know, nothing like hearing about a good running Homedelight. Jonathan

super ez auto problem

Hey guys...your info is exciting ( i have looked everywhere on the internet for information )

My Homelite super ez automatic (red paint - lot #e6230 serial #40333344) has good compression, but something is sticking. When i try to start, the cord locks up, then I have to take the starter cover off, rotate the flywheel a bit, and then retry to start... Any help would be appreciated greatly ( I really like this saw )

Lane

Hi Lane, Sometimes the bolts behind the flywheel back out into the the flywheel. Carefully take off the flywheel and remove the three screws under it. Then apply some lock tite and screw them back in. You will know if this is your problem by looking at the back side of the flywheel and the top of the screws. Good luck if not let us know, Jonathan

Sounds simple enough...if I could just find a flywheel puller for this small flywheel...anybody know where I can get one? or maybe a trick or technique to remove the flywheel without one?

Thanks again for all the help !!!

Lane

I dont know much about this saw but usually there is a nut on the flywheel. Its reverse thread. You need a piston stop. Then it should pop off when you take the nut off. Am I right Home Delight Man?

Howdy Lane, Did you ever get a puller and check out the Homelite Super EZ? Let us know the suspence is sawing away at me, Ha HA Ha, Jonathan:blob2:

Hey guys...i tried the impact method, but that didnt budge the thing...and i havent got that flywheel puller yet...but i think i have a line on getting one...i found a supplier here in my town that sells that sort of thing (i couldnt get a puller at sears that looked like it would fit), the suppliers seem to think they have one made for that saw..i will see on Monday...I will let you know, and will probably need more help...
by the way, thanks for the help (everybody)

the suspense grows!!!

Lane

The correct(HOMELITE) way to remove the flywheel is to remove the main nut& washers, then the two special bolts that the cogs pivot on. Use 2 #10-24 x 2'+ SCREW/BOLTS IN A FLAT PLATE PULLER, THREADING THEM
all the way into the rotor. The puller will have a center bolt that pushes down on the crankshaft end forcing the rotor off. I use a cotton sash cord to stop the piston, inserted thru the sparkplug hole.

finally...

Hey guys, I finally got that flywheel removed...(you were right Homedelite Man..) one of the screws was backed all the way out and jammed in under the casings...i havent had time to clean it out and reinstall the screws with locktite yet, but that should get done this weekend...Im anxious to get it started up!!!!

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions...
Lane

Awesome, I love hearing about another old Homelite that will be terrorizing the neighbors. What is that loud noise? Oh that is my old Homelite. Score!! Jonathan:blob2:

The super EZ auto is going strong!!! This saw has a lot of power...I didnt even have to adjust the carb...just put a new fuel line on and let it rip...

Thanks everybody for all the help and suggestions...this is a great forum...

Now all i got left is take it all apart, blast it, and re-paint it...

Lane

Back