Homelite super EZ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This all makes since to me now. I'm a slow learner if I don't understand every detail. As I was filling the points where rough and at a point became smooth. This saw is a member of my collection. I ran out the gas, hung it up and it will most likely sit there looking pretty. I've got plenty of worker saws to abuse. But I love LISTENING to old school mechanics because there is always nuggets of information that you will learn.

My Dad was a good common sense mechanic as time goes on you forget who taught you some of the things you "JUST KNOW" . Doesn't seem like 50 and (some) years since I first heard this conversation but it has probably been 35 years since I heard it last. You said this well and I appreciate your comment. I worked on 480 volt starters through the years and the filing of the contacts is viewed the same way.

Same here (electrically and mechanically) about working on starters, and electrical and ignition contacts of all types. (about same number of years)

When I HAVE TO File or DRESS a set of points to get by for now or to get the eq to the house I think of it as kinda like peeing into the wind.

;)

Same here (electrically and mechanically) about working on starters, and electrical and ignition contacts of all types. (about same number of years)

When I HAVE TO File or DRESS a set of points to get by for now or to get the eq to the house I think of it as kinda like peeing into the wind.

;)
Do you have Equipment that still uses POINTS? ME TOO. of course the diesels are old as well

This thread is kinda old but:
When working on a chainsaw ignition and observing spark I've started using a VARIABLE SPEED battery operated reverse-able drill to spin the flywheel while looking at the spark intensity. Makes it easier to closely look at the spark instead of having to re-install and manually pull the rope. Just make sure the flywheel nut is tight because most need to be cranked backwards (CCW) so as to loosen the flywheel nut. Just start spinning slow with the spark plug out to reduce compression and ground the spark plug good, don't just let it dangle and keep a heads up about igniting fuel spewing out of the spark plug hole if it's been flooded. (I've seen them start spitting flames like a dragon)
Also try spinning the crank in opposite direction with the drill and if the spark is stronger in the wrong rotating direction is an indication that Bubba has installed the wrong parts, for example has wrong polarity flywheel for the magneto, etc. (Homies used different polarity magnet) flywheels on some saws)

Latest posts

Back