Homelite super xl 12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedodge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi! Guys, new to the site and have a question about my xl-12. It runs great and I just had it tuned up. It has a 18" bar and was thinking of going to a bigger bar. What do you think and what is a skip link for a chain. I'm just learning more about tree work. Thanks in advance. By the way I'm looking to upgrade the saw in the future. I just really like my Homelite!:greenchainsaw:

Dad runs a 20" on one of his '12's; I don't think I'd want anything much bigger than that on one. I suppose you could get away with a 24", particularly if you were in softwood, but I think 18-20" is best.

Hi! Guys, new to the site and have a question about my xl-12. It runs great and I just had it tuned up. It has a 18" bar and was thinking of going to a bigger bar. What do you think and what is a skip link for a chain. I'm just learning more about tree work. Thanks in advance. By the way I'm looking to upgrade the saw in the future. I just really like my Homelite!:greenchainsaw:

hehe i can be the first to this finally get to be first at something Welcome to the site

Thanks!Guys, I was thinking of going bigger because alot of the stuff I'm cutting is upwards of 2' or better that I'm trying to buck up. It's usually maple,oak,hickory and some cherry. Occasionally locust. I am trying to get a little quicker at getting through the stuff.

Thanks!Guys, I was thinking of going bigger because alot of the stuff I'm cutting is upwards of 2' or better that I'm trying to buck up. It's usually maple,oak,hickory and some cherry. Occasionally locust. I am trying to get a little quicker at getting through the stuff.

With that saw, making two passes with a 18" bar-one from each side-is probably faster than one pass with a 24" bar. If you want to speed things up much, get a bigger saw.

20"s pretty common on XL12's. I wouldn't doubt that they could tug a 24" though. Fair amount of old style torque in those things.

A skip link chain provides "room" for the chips to clear out of the log better when you are cutting whereas a full comp chain would have another cutter in the way.

KRS

For those types of wood, the longest I run is a 16" bar, full comp. If I was cutting hardwoods that large, I would rather make 2 passes than try to run a bigger bar.

Then again, I got spoiled at the Indiana GTG...7900 is my next purchase. Girlfriend even approved it :greenchainsaw:

But do you run any saws that are "stock"?

Now that I think about it, no. My old homie is souped up, still not worth a darn in a race but it does alright in the woods. I don't run it often, I just pull it out for a sunday cruise every now and then.

Back