Homelite super xl 925 clutch sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the saw you have has a 3 shoe clutch?

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
Yep, mine is a 3 shoe clutch. I don't know the original Homelite part number for this particular sprocket. But I'd like to find a sprocket with a removable ring, not the spur type. I think the Oregon one listed above is the removable ring type.

Salutations,

I'm not sure if this will help, but one hopes.

Place a call to Hawkins Bros. Shelbina, MO 573-588-4731. They were very helpful when I had to repair my fathers 6 shoe 925 clutch assy. FWIW, my fathers saw possessed a large spline rim sprocket making sprocket changes easy. Perhaps you can order all the parts to retrofit your saw to this configuration? Since his saw ran 3/8 pitch we installed an 8 tooth sprocket to gain a little cutter speed.

Kindest regards,
Candice

SXL 925 Homelite sprocket systems

Hello Smcowboy..........
If you are set on a rim & spline system for your SXL-925 you will probably
have to settle for a 3/8 pitch. That I believe is still available from Oregon, its
#37458x. I have an Oregon catalog dated 1993 and it shows nothing in .404 for the 3 shoe only in the 6 shoe.
Good hunting!

Me and my chainsaw buddy found that an Xl-12, etc. sprocket that I think is for a 6 shoe clutch match up pretty, very very close. Might be a hair smaller diameter, but It works like a dream, just so all you folks know for future reference. Thanks to ALL who tried helping out. Take care and God Bless!

boxerlines said:
Hello Smcowboy..........
If you are set on a rim & spline system for your SXL-925 you will probablyhave to settle for a 3/8 pitch. ............

I am wondering why you think that. Flexability is huge advatage of the rim drive system. You can run basically any pitch on it. I have 3/8, .404, 7/16, and 1/2 rims here.

Bill

They sell the kit as 3/8" for most saws, but it doesn't mean you can't buy it and swap the rim for whichever pitch you prefer. Some places will even do the switch at the point of sale for the exact same price, and no extra hassle.

smcowboy1974 said:
Me and my chainsaw buddy found that an Xl-12, etc. sprocket that I think is for a 6 shoe clutch match up pretty, very very close. Might be a hair smaller diameter, but It works like a dream, just so all you folks know for future reference. Thanks to ALL who tried helping out. Take care and God Bless!

Yes, I believe the XL-12/SXL drum is the same as the 6 shoe 925

Im wrapping up a project 925 - going to run 20" 3/8 with an 8t rim. Curious to see how it does with the 8T (never tried that before)

xl-925

I have a xl-12 rim drive 7T sprocket in .404. My bar is a 28" Homelite with 84 Drivers and is full skip. I haven't found anything big enough to make it snort yet. I really do think it will handle it good though. It may be slower than the newer saws, but the lugging power is astounding!

Yes, I was wrong, I see that Oregon sells a .404 rim that fits the 7 spline drum. Where do you buy these 1/2'' rims Bill mentioned? I see no listing for them at the Oregon site.I learn something new each time I visit the Arborist site and this is a good example.Still learning. Thanks to those helping with my education.
Later Yaw

Here is a picture of a few rims. They are from left to right 1/2" 6 tooth, 7/16" 7 tooth, .404 8 tooth, and 3/8" 8 tooth.

Bill

Just took my 925 out for a test run. Have a new carb kit/fuel line & filter. honed the cyl & put in new rings.

20" powermatch with a 8t rim & full chisel

Took a while to get the carb adjusted, but WOW this thing rocks with that 8t sprocket rim.

It blasted through 10" red oak like nothing, you could not even hear the engine slow down.

The tourqe these things have is amazing........

Cant wait to break it in & get it tuned right & do some serois work.........

It is definitly faster than my other 925 that sports a 24" with a 7t rim.

BTW: I have 6 shoe clutches on all 3 of mine.

I do have a 3 shoe that is missing the lining on 1 shoe. And also have a spare 6 shoe.

I bought some brake lining material so I could re line it. Just have to figure out what type of adhesive to use.

Any ideas anyone ????????

Also if anyone has any clutch parts for sale/trade, let me know.

Mike mandry said:

Also if anyone has any clutch parts for sale/trade, let me know.

Mike just buy a few 925's from me and you will have some parts.

Bill

Back