homelite super xl-925 what are they worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent a bunch of hours in my younger days running Homelite XL's and 900 series saws. They were very good saws in their day but long outclassed by the newer saws that incorporated anti-vibe, higher rpms and chain brakes. I would consider picking one up for nostalgia reasons but would not want to run one all day anymore! For that reason value for users is low but the fun factor of playing with the old saws is high. I very rarely see good condition 925's selling for more than $150.

I'd venture to say there isn't likely a 900 series Homelite that's sold on Ebay in the last couple years I haven't looked at (and probably bid on better than half of them). I've seen some that I wouldn't give 10 bucks for go for 200 and have ended up with a few that I figured would go for 200 being bought cheap.

As a general rule, the 925's tend to go 25-50% higher than comparable saws of the same class. I think name recognition is the culprit. If the paint and exterior are nice and pretty, the value will be higher as well. Like Messenger said, condition is everything.

The SXL-925 is one of the best saws Homelite ever made. It has high compression and tons of torque. RPMs are also higher than most other models. It is an excellent saw and would serve you well. One in nice condition might bring $200.

343365560_85psn-M.jpg

Hey Brad where is the thumb button for the manual oiler?

That is one feature I wish the newer saws had - a manual oiler in addition to the automatic.

925s are great saws. My avatar is a air filter cover off the first one I ever had. I now have a few and wouldn't part with any of them. The "big" XLs evolved over time, and the key that makes a 925 different from the other XL-700/800/900 series saws is its the only one that came with a thin-ringed piston. Many saws that pop up on fleabay are a mix of parts from different saws. Its easy to do since many parts interchange and there's about a dozen different model variations of the big XLs. A true 925 has the following characteristics:
1. thin ringed piston.
2. fully open exhaust port.
3. solid state ignition (either 3 piece or one piece)
4. no decomp valve
5. rubber-padded read handle grip
6. auto and manual oiler. manual oiler mounted vertically.
7. 3/8" bar studs.

Seems like I'm missing a few other points, but can't think of 'em right now. Any case, be careful about calling a saw a 925, especially if its a frankensaw made up from scattered parts. I see plenty of junk go for both cheap and alot on fleabay, but usually when a saw appears to have it all together, these easily bring $100-$200.

Dan

id keep the old homie untell you find some one that really wants it i got a 650 supper homie kool saw need a intake boot at least. 100 cc should be fun!!:clap:

Not many saws I like better than 925s, but a Super 650 happens to be one of 'em. Let's hear about it!

Dan

i had a super xl 12 ,was a decent firewood saw considering its age and lack of modern features .Some of the downfalls were slow/lower rpms compared to todays saws and the oiler of coarse ,the vibration ,the noise is LOUD and the weight felt high.I think you could get 100 bucks out of a good running one .

Dan, are you putting down Frankensaws??? I don't think any of my 920 series saws are completely original top to bottom. Of course, with Homelite it's not always easy to tell what is original. Doesn't much matter to me-they all cut just fine no matter what parts they're made from.

Are you certain all the 925's came with thin rings? I was told once by an old Homelite mechanic there was a serial number cut-off where they switched, but he might have sniffed too many 2 cycle fumes in his time.

Dan, are you putting down Frankensaws??? I don't think any of my 920 series saws are completely original top to bottom. Of course, with Homelite it's not always easy to tell what is original. Doesn't much matter to me-they all cut just fine no matter what parts they're made from.

Are you certain all the 925's came with thin rings? I was told once by an old Homelite mechanic there was a serial number cut-off where they switched, but he might have sniffed too many 2 cycle fumes in his time.

Na, I'd never put down any Homelite, at least one made before 1980, even if it was made up of parts from a dozen different saws :).

As for the rings, every IPL I've seen shows 925s with thin rings. Since these can be tough to find, I'm sure many are swapped with thick-ringed pistons. If a 925 came with thick rings, I'm not aware of it. Doesn't mean they didn't.... I just haven't see any proof they did.

Dan

Latest posts

Back