homelite super xl automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjach

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me some input on the potential of this saw. I picked it up and took the muffler off. It appeared to have compression at first glance but upon further Inspection I realized the cylinder is scoured. I found a new jug and piston but I know some homelites make good hot saws. Is this one of them? If so how do I go about it?

SXL's are a good saw that will still hold their own with many modern saws.

As far as modding them I would like to find some info also.

coil

is it hard to get a coil? I have heard that they are a problem. Do they make an aftermarket that is better?

Sadly, the coils are the major weak spot of these saws. At least the electronic ignition versions anyway. From what I understand, there are two versions of the electronic coil, and the blue-colored one is more likely to fail than the other. And yes, they are hard to find and expensive. A local repair shop has three or four of these sitting around with bad coils that will likely never get fixed for that reason. Which is also why my Super XL will likely wind up on fleabay as a parts saw, as not only does it need a coil (has the blue one), but it also needs a bar and chain. The cost of replacing all those parts makes it just not worth it. :bang:

SuperXL coils & Sources of Coils

Hello all AS Members,

This is my first real post. I have been lurking here for the last 3 months reading the mail and absorbing some of the wealth of info posted on this site. Anyway, I thought that I would jump in & give lumberjach some info about Homelite SXL saws and some good sources of ignition coil modules. I have owned & operated 5 Sxl-ao saws over the years, 3 of which are still running strong. These are quite a hard saw to kill, they can take a great deal of hard use & abuse and still keep on cutting. Have lots of low end torque--very hard to stall out under load. Indianna John is quite correct, the solid state ignition coil module (the light blue one made by Prestolite Corp) frequently fail. I have had to replace 2 coils in two sxls since December. I would suggest that Lumberjach contact either of these two Sources. 1) Scott Dejardins (Retoocs555) on AS Or 2) Randy Duncan of Randy's Engine Repair in Mowrystown, Ohio. Telephone 937-927-5429 (m - f 8am to 2 pm eastern). Randy is selling the prestolite solid state coil (part # a-94605-s) for $40.00 plus shipping & handling. According to his ebay webstore he has 69 left as of tonite. Lumberjach email me & I can give you some pointers on coil replacement and some pitfalls to avoid. My best to all.

Thanks for the info! I was actually talking this afternoon with an older guy I've known for a long time who's worked on a lot of Homelites over the years. We got on the subject of Homies, and I mentioned that I wish I could get this SXL running again, but hadn't been able to find a coil for a reasonable price. He said that he might actually have one at home, and he would check and let me know next week. If that falls thru, I'll try those two sources. I'd like to find somebody who has a good used 24" bar to fit it too. I've got two saws now with 20" bars, and would like to have a saw with a 24" for the rare occasions that I need something bigger. I figure that the since the SXL is an near 60cc saw, and should be a pretty torquey unit it should be capable of occasional use with that size b/c. Acres site shows that the 24" was available on them new. Fred, I would be interested in that info as well. Send me a PM if you want.

I have 3 SXLs and think they are great. Many has been the day that when Miller time arrived the only thing still running was old blue. They are powerful for their size and if kept sharp and oiled, will work all day with out a lot of problems. The only advice I can offer is that the Oregon two piece sprocket system with the replaceable rim, is a must for these saws. The #s are 30666 for the drive and 68210 for the rim.

Enjoy!

I have 3 SXLs and think they are great. Many has been the day that when Miller time arrived the only thing still running was old blue. They are powerful for their size and if kept sharp and oiled, will work all day with out a lot of problems. The only advice I can offer is that the Oregon two piece sprocket system with the replaceable rim, is a must for these saws. The #s are 30666 for the drive and 68210 for the rim.

Enjoy!

I found one at my dealer that was ordered in by accident. I was figuring I would probably never find one for it.

Mark

Back