Homelite Super XL replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperXLfan

Reaction score
After about 10 years of at time fairly heavy use, my Super XL 20" is "not worth repairing" according to the repair shop. The saw served me very well and I am looking to replace it with a comparable saw with close to the same power and reliability. Anyone have any suggestions?

i guess this depends on what kind of saw you like or are looking to buy....if it was me i would try a ms290 (stihl) or a 350 (husky) both have great power and rev out of this world for stock saws. Hope this helps

Give us a budget you'd like to stay within, and it will help with recommendations. I'd say a 357XP or 359 Husky, or 361 Stihl would work nicely but you're looking to spend ~$400-600 on one, depending where you buy it and what you buy. For a little less money, lowetheoutdoors recommendations are good. A 353 or 346XP or MS 260 would also work well in a 3 cube saw. Assuming you want to keep the 20" bar length, one of my first 3 recommendations would be better than the smaller saws.

I was planning on sticking with the 20" bar and roughly the same horsepower. From my research so far, it looks like the cost will be around $350-$450. I was looking at the Husky 455 and the Stihl MS310. Any opinions between the two?

You'll find that you miss the mid-range grunt of the old XL with modern saws, but will enjoy the "high rev, cuts smooth" thing when you get the hang of modern units. If you want the 20" bar thing because you cut a lot of bigger wood, the 50-53 cc class will be a little underpowered; if you like the 20" bar to save your back from bending so low and cut mostly smaller wood, 50cc will be fine. The Stihl 361/Husky359 (and other makes in this class) are a wondeful compromise for most...they're lighter and handier than the 70cc class saws, and have more snort than the 50cc size. If you have an EFCO dealer in your town check out the 962...a real snappy saw; John Deere also markets this saw in green.

Keep in mind that the old XL/super XL has been around since about 1963 without any major design improvements. The last ones were cleaned out of warehouses about 30 years after that, and they are still to be found everywhere, used. If you really really liked that old, slow, "buzzy" Homelite I'm sure a cruise of pawn shops, junk stores, garage sales, and even Ebay will net a few...

SuperXLfan said:
I was planning on sticking with the 20" bar and roughly the same horsepower. From my research so far, it looks like the cost will be around $350-$450. I was looking at the Husky 455 and the Stihl MS310. Any opinions between the two?

If you go Husky, stay away from the 455 and go with the 359 if you want to stay in that price range

Xl

I'd buy another xl from somebody on here in good shape. Put out a post that your looking for one to buy! I"m sure somebody will sell you a decent one a lot cheaper than your going to pay for a new saw of the same size. That's what I would do!

Thanks to evryone for the posts and advice. I ended up buying the Stihl 361 with a 20" bar. A little more than I had originally planned on spending but after 2 days of use, I can say I am very pleased. This saw is awesome.

Good to hear. You won't regret spending the extra money, as that saw will last a long time with a little care and maintenance, much like your Super XL did. It is also much nicer to use than what you would have got int the lower to middle part of your original budget.

Latest posts

Back