Homelite SXL-925

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickolas

Retired and messing around with old stuff...
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just joined yesterday and am not sure of all the places yet or where people just **** chat but this looked like a good place. I just got ahold of a few saws for a steal from an older lady whose husband died. They used to have a tree business she said and this was his favorite saw. I actually got 5 saws for 50 bucks so I'm not complaining. Deals are out there and I usually get pretty lucky running across them. Anyway got an older Homelite Super XL-925 with a 28" bar and also a parts saw to go with it. All I had to do was replace the fuel lines, filter, carb overhaul, and make a few adjustments and she runs very well. This is my first HL 925 and I really like the torque this sucker has. I also think it is a nice weight and isn't heavy at all. I saw where some in here think these are on the heavy side but it feels good to me and just right. I like a saw that has some weight to it myself and can't stand the newer plastic saws I won't touch em.
I'll take a good ole used saw any day even it it does weigh 25lbs or so I just like cutting with a heavy saw. And somebody said all he had seen were Canadian made 925 saws but you can see one is from Port Chester NY and the other is from Canada.

Anyway this seems to be a nice saw and the parts saw looks like it has hardly been used. I tell you one thing it has some heavy duty compression. You can't pull this thing over unless you are standing on it and it still fights you. I haven't done a compression test on it yet. The other saw that's complete has about 165-170 so that other saw must be 200 or so. I need to find a nice clean clutch cover to make it complete. A bar will come later. It appears to be a very well made saw and feels good in the hands cutting. I need to get another bar so I can go back to my 404 chisel tooth chain. I have that on my McCulloch and it just rips right on through a big log with ease. I prefer McCulloch but I must say I do like this 925 saw. I think I'll use it awhile and see how she does. I'm going to put a new bar on the other saw and just keep it for a back up for now. I see the clean ones can bring some dough on the auction but I don't want to get rid of a real clean saw.

This lady also had a Mall two man saw that I left behind. She wanted 50 bucks for it which is cheap however it has been outside for awhile and anything that coiuld rust has done so quite a bit. Looks to be complete but whatever will rust has and it's pretty bad. It's a shame as it is a big old saw complete with bar and handle. The chain is rusted into the bar and a few other parts real rusty. I almost bought it just for a lawn ornament but I left it behind. I may go back and get it if she still has it for the heck of it. Anyway I'm going to see if I can post some pics of these saws. I also got a HL 150 Auto, small XL and a Sears ( Poulan ) 1991 model 2.0 cubic inch that screams.

Later,

Nick

Last edited:
Hi all,
I just joined yesterday and am not sure of all the places yet or where people just **** chat but this looked like a good place. I just got ahold of a few saws for a steal from an older lady whose husband died. They used to have a tree business she said and this was his favorite saw. I actually got 5 saws for 50 bucks so I'm not complaining. Deals are out there and I usually get pretty lucky running across them. Anyway got an older Homelite Super XL-925 with a 28" bar and also a parts saw to go with it. All I had to do was replace the fuel lines, filter, carb overhaul, and make a few adjustments and she runs very well. This is my first HL 925 and I really like the torque this sucker has. I also think it is a nice weight and isn't heavy at all. I saw where some in here think these are on the heavy side but it feels good to me and just right. I like a saw that has some weight to it myself and can't stand the newer plastic saws I won't touch em.
I'll take a good ole used saw any day even it it does weigh 25lbs or so I just like cutting with a heavy saw. And somebody said all he had seen were Canadian made 925 saws but you can see one is from Port Chester NY and the other is from Canada.

Anyway this seems to be a nice saw and the parts saw looks like it has hardly been used. I tell you one thing it has some heavy duty compression. You can't pull this thing over unless you are standing on it and it still fights you. I haven't done a compression test on it yet. The other saw that's complete has about 165-170 so that other saw must be 200 or so. I need to find a nice clean clutch cover to make it complete. A bar will come later. It appears to be a very well made saw and feels good in the hands cutting. I need to get another bar so I can go back to my 404 chisel tooth chain. I have that on my McCulloch and it just rips right on through a big log with ease. I prefer McCulloch but I must say I do like this 925 saw. I think I'll use it awhile and see how she does. I'm going to put a new bar on the other saw and just keep it for a back up for now. I see the clean ones can bring some dough on the auction but I don't want to get rid of a real clean saw.

This lady also had a Mall two man saw that I left behind. She wanted 50 bucks for it which is cheap however it has been outside for awhile and anything that coiuld rust has done so quite a bit. Looks to be complete but whatever will rust has and it's pretty bad. It's a shame as it is a big old saw complete with bar and handle. The chain is rusted into the bar and a few other parts real rusty. I almost bought it just for a lawn ornament but I left it behind. I may go back and get it if she still has it for the heck of it. Anyway I'm going to see if I can post some pics of these saws. I also got a HL 150 Auto, small XL and a Sears ( Poulan ) 1991 model 2.0 cubic inch that screams.

Later,

Nick

Poor form, and not something I'd brag about. I'll be interested to see how this "plays out".

Your pics.

260533d1351879535-sxl925-1-jpg

260537d1351879689-sxl925-parts-saw-jpg

260536d1351879680-sxl925-parts-saw-1-jpg

Last edited:
Poor form, and not something I'd brag about. I'll be interested to see how this "plays out".

What exactly are you trying to say? Poor form??? See how this plays out??? See how what plays out? What are you even talking about? And who is bragging about what? All I said was I got a good deal on a few saws from a lady whose husband died and I like them and you seem to have an issue with that... She volunteered that to me after I had been there awhile and it had nothing to do with me buying them. She was a very nice lady and I actually know her sons. We had a very good chat while I was there talking about her husband and the business they used to have. Looks like someone is having a bad day or something as your people skills seem to be lacking to say the least. You certainly are not a very welcoming person in here. You know what the old saying is.... If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all... You want to act like that then don't waste my time speaking at all...

Nick

I like my 925, you should be proud taking advantage of a widow, I couldn't have done it.

Man you too huh... What is with you guys? If I had said I got them from a lady that just got married then you would be totally different. Or If I had got them from my neighbor then it also would be good I guess? I just mentioned where I got them as a lot of people ask? Where did you get them? Why were they selling them and so on... Well this is why she was selling them because of her loss. It's terrible about what happened but like I said has nothing to do with anyone taking advantage of anyone nor does it reflect on my post.

I am talking about a few saws... Where I got them and why they sold them is beside the point. I can't believe you guys make the the topic instead of the saws. I'm just a little thrown off here how you guys read into a post. Right off the bat you have to get negative. She was happy to sell them to me and I gave her her asking price without even haggling. Look at it from this standpoint... NONE of them ran... I had to work on them all to get them running and as far as she was concerned they were all junk and was happy to get what she got for them. I could have took the Mall saw also but didn't want to lug it back.

Ya know I'm not even going to sweat this and I'm just going to blow it off because it is ridiculous to even think that way.... I'm here to talk about saws and who I got them from is part of the story plain and simple. You wanna harp on some poor old womans loss then that's your issue... not mine. It was only part of the story but you guys are looking at the woman and not the saws. If you don't like the saw that's fine with me but no need to talk about the lady who lost her husband I'd leave that alone... Only part of the story how I came into them. Period

Welcome to AS, Nick.

Your introduction was stating that you got the saws for a "steal from an old lady who's husband had died". I took it at face value, pure and simple.

The 925's look really decent, but you should have left the 150 behind.........LOL!!!

Man you too huh... What is with you guys? If I had said I got them from a lady that just got married then you would be totally different. Or If I had got them from my neighbor then it also would be good I guess? I just mentioned where I got them as a lot of people ask? Where did you get them? Why were they selling them and so on... Well this is why she was selling them because of her loss. It's terrible about what happened but like I said has nothing to do with anyone taking advantage of anyone nor does it reflect on my post.

I am talking about a few saws... Where I got them and why they sold them is beside the point. I can't believe you guys make the the topic instead of the saws. I'm just a little thrown off here how you guys read into a post. Right off the bat you have to get negative. She was happy to sell them to me and I gave her her asking price without even haggling. Look at it from this standpoint... NONE of them ran... I had to work on them all to get them running and as far as she was concerned they were all junk and was happy to get what she got for them. I could have took the Mall saw also but didn't want to lug it back.

Ya know I'm not even going to sweat this and I'm just going to blow it off because it is ridiculous to even think that way.... I'm here to talk about saws and who I got them from is part of the story plain and simple. You wanna harp on some poor old womans loss then that's your issue... not mine. It was only part of the story but you guys are looking at the woman and not the saws. If you don't like the saw that's fine with me but no need to talk about the lady who lost her husband I'd leave that alone... Only part of the story how I came into them. Period

Then maybe you should have included those details in your original post, or left your entire first sentence out.

Welcome to AS, Nick.

Your introduction was stating that you got the saws for a "steal from an old lady who's husband had died". I took it at face value, pure and simple.

The 925's look really decent, but you should have left the 150 behind.........LOL!!!

I'm glad this is cleared up. Sometimes folks read into something and take it the wrong way. I'm an old fart myself and it was only the way it was typed that caused you to reply the way you did. I surely didn't mean anything by it but as stated just the story of where they came from and how I got them that's all. It was a steal and yes it was an "old lady" and yes her husband died 6 years ago... I really didn't think I would get any replies like I did. I know the lady well I know her two sons. Never met her husband but she sure misses him.

She told me to take them all get em out of here so I did. She said I'll take 50 for the two HL 925 saws and that was what I originally got. Then she spoke up and said take the others too if you want them I don't. I really didn't want the others but said what the heck it will give me something to tinker with. I don't work anymore so all I do is tinker. I been a mechanic all my life and love tearing into a motor and making it run or anything else for that matter.

You can't always go by what other's say either. I have got things that people said were junk and I didn't have any issues with it. Got other things people said was great but I didn't think it was all that great so to each their own really. Now the 925 is a decent saw. I'm sure there is better and I know there is worse but for what I paid for them and getting them running and running good I can't complain. I haven't use it that much as of yet but cut with it the other day and liked how it handled. The 150 is in need of a lot of help and I haven't decided what to do with it yet. I got it running but the gas tank leaks a little and no bar or chain but it has good compression and runs good. It's what a 43 cc saw I think and has more power than the little HL XL I have. I might fix it up or might not don't know yet.

I was thinking about fixing the tank and getting a bar and chain for it. So tell me why you don't like this model saw? What's your issue with it?

Nick

Why did you post my pics? I had links to them in the post and they didn't show up like this on my end?

Because you have the links posted. The way he did it the pictures show up, no clicking required.

It makes it easier on everybody else if you do it that way originally. No clicking back and forth to see your pics.

Because you have the links posted. The way he did it the pictures show up, no clicking required.

It makes it easier on everybody else if you do it that way originally. No clicking back and forth to see your pics.

Well ya know I originally had done it that way but thought somebody would say they were too big and taking up too much space. I had that issue in another group so I posted links which takes up little space. I'm new to this site and don't know how you guys function here or how you do things so it will take time. Other groups do it differently and get bent if you post large pics so that's why I did what I did. So from here on out then I'll just post them like I was going to in the first place...

Nick,
Welcome to the site, I get a little excited when I read stuff like that because my Grandma basically got a bunch of tools stolen from her after my Grandpa passed away. Guy came in and said they weren't worth anything and she believed him. I know now that is not what happened with you, have fun with your CAD- it is untreatable!

After running chainsaws no one wants to have to click back and forth to view pictures. We are lazy at beer-thirty, so just embed the pictures. :givebeer:

Why did you post my pics? I had links to them in the post and they didn't show up like this on my end?

When you hit reply to my post did you notice the brackets and code at each end of the picture's shortcut?

That is what you add to a link to get the picture to show up in the post.

One geezer to another: Welcome to AS..........................................and..............................................develope a thick skin.....:msp_biggrin:

B.T.W. I have an XL-925 and an XL-800 and both require grim determination to crank up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back