Homelite XL-12 Restoration Album with Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagstar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
View attachment 243972

0_0_48470bbdfcea8810a8d1d8c6038e778e_1.jpg

I saw my neighbor uses this old classic instead of his more modern saws SO I finally pulled my XL-12 from the shed and degreased her. Two weeks later she looks almost new, not quite as slick as some I've seen here BUT I had fun. Plus it's red white and blue even! Happy 4th all!

Slideshow with video- Hagstar's Travels

Regular album view- 1964 Homelite XL-12 Restoration - Hagstar's Travels - Powered by Phanfare

John H.

Great job and excellent pics! I am working on a Homelite Zip right now for a relative and your pics have me stoked to get some paint on her! I believe i will use the paint you used, looks awsome! The old blue Homelites really look nice restored with new decals, ect. I am having better luck finding paint and decals than rebuild parts for the Zip. Jimmy

Well a few hours after I finished the video a 2 ft. diameter tree fell on my deck in a fierce storm. It was a bizarre coincidence the Homelite was fueled and waiting by the door so I could cut my way out into the back yard!

John H.

that is the nicest one i have ever seen mines the same color runs great but looks like hell.

Note though the Duplicolor Engine Enamel clearcoat does protect the decals well (without damaging them, many clear coatings would need a shot of acrylic lacquer on the decals first) it makes the paint super glossy and a bit mottled. I ended up using 0000 steel wool to reduce the gloss on the covers, doesn't match perfecly though. And you'll note I used an antique white for the accents, I thought it would look more realistic on a 45 year old saw. BUT the decals are pure white, oh well.

John H.

freaking awesome bro. i love the old blue homelites. you did an excellent job on this one and have me motivated to go grab 2-3 blue homies outta the building.

loco

Very well done and glad it was ready to go :biggrinbounce2:

Having your classic Hommie ready and there to help the family is a high state of affairs :)

The most important thing about restorations that I learned doing radios is keeping the costs sensible. The best paint would be a color matched single stage catalysed automotive enamel BUT you must buy a quart plus reducer and hardener so it just can't be justified unless the saw is super rare. As the use of acrylic enamel fades though one of us should have a few gallons of Homelight Blue Early and Late made up and divy it up into pints! Another problem is real automotive paint is quite toxic. For now the engine enamels will have to do. The funny part is a rattle can's 11 ounces of paint with dispenser costs like 1/3 as much per ounce as the cheapest automotive paint. Sometimes I take it out of the can, add hardener, and spray it but that's a LOT of work......

John H.

Back