Homelite XL "Little Red" ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snbgreen

Reaction score
Last edited:
this one is easy, oregon lists a current rim sprocket system for the XL-12, lots of bars too, including powermatch plus. if it fits i would use a bosch plug that would fit a stihl. if you wanted to go by the book with it: SPARK PLUG TYPE: Champion TJ8J, later Champion RCJ-8J as listed on:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...a17d735d551f0f1e88256b78005f6a7b?OpenDocument

clutch and bar numbers can be looked up on the Oregon selector guide at
http://www.oregonchain.com/

they are a slow saw, but will darn near go forever with little maintenence from what i have been told.. as soon as i finish a very small clearing job for a neighbor, i will own a good condition red model XL-12 that has not been run in about 20 years. going in my personal collection and i wont let it go! just looks neat to me!

I think there is a bit of confusion here.The Xl-12 was an old,built like a Sherman tank,old school,last forever saw,of 3.3 cu inch,if I recall correctly.The Xl,was a tiny little 8 lb saw of 1.6 cu inch.These little saws sold for about $90,brand new.I may have this wrong but I believe that later take offs had 1.9 cu in.I have a variation of that saw,the XL-2,which has a double set of triggers,effectively making it a top handle saw.It is equipted with a 1/4" chain ,which is rare but not impossible to find .Not having seen the saw in question,I can't say what pitch chain it uses,but it most likely would be 1/4" or possibley 3/8" low profile .If you measure across 3 rivets,then divide by 2,that is the chain pitch.Having that,count the drive links,and thus determine the type and length of the chain loop.Try Baileys,they have tons of chain and other related saw parts.

By the time the xl-2 evolved (de-evolved?) into the "little red" the 1/4" chain and double triggers were gone. Most likely to have 3/8" low profile chain. Beleive it or not Home Depot will have a chain and spark plug for this saw in stock.

Yes, it should be a 3/8 lo pro, 59 drive links.
Btw, you overpaid dearly for the saw, sorry.
Spark plug is a little tapered 5/8s job, a Champion dj6j, dj76 or 86 j or y.
Actually a handy little saw, if it runs. A nightmare to work on .

IMO, you paid too much for too little a machine. had that been an XL12, it would be totally worth it. for climbing saws, I"d buy an MS192T, or MS200T.

There was an earlier one, then a later version. Mike's site shows both. I have the earlier one, red, metal body. 14" bar, 3/8 lo pro chain, oregon 91vg or 91 vs chain, 50 gauge, oregon spur sprocket, parts still available. Small , light, runs good. Oiler works by pressurizing the oil tank, uses a duckill valve to feed the pressure into it from the crankcase.

Fish said:
A nightmare to work on .
Tell me about it.I got one that's giving me fits,right now.I've never had one I couldn't get running but this one is trying my patience to the max.

Well,snbgreen,I got mine going,how about you.A little tip that might help you.The condensor[capacitor if you prefer] is an intregal part of the points assembly,and made to be changed as a unit.Mine had an intermittent spark,so I suspected the condensor.By disconnecting the original condensor and tying a new one[McCulloch of course] in at the kill switch wire,I'm back in business.It turns out to be a peppy little thing,for a tiny saw.Hope your luck turns out well also.

Latest posts

Back