Homelite XL12 muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 457169
This it the muffler guess I will have to live with it
I had an xl12 with the same muffler. It was my dad's saw. I asked him once about putting a new muffler on it because of how loud it was....he said it is a new muffler lol This was 30 years ago. Also had my grandfather's xl12 it had the larger muffler and was a little more quiet but not much. Both saws were blue and white and from the early 60's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I had an xl12 with the same muffler. It was my dad's saw. I asked him once about putting a new muffler on it because of how loud it was....he said it is a new muffler lol This was 30 years ago. Also had my grandfather's xl12 it had the larger muffler and was a little more quiet but not much. Both saws were blue and white and from the early 60's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
same story my saw was my dads and new in the 60's sat i my shed for years put gas in it and it started up, needed a new fuel line only i love the saw

They wern`t the lightest thing ever but they are durable. My FIL logged all his working life, all he used were Homelites. The mill he cut for had a deal with Homelite and they could purchase saws in many unit lots keeping the costs down All of the cutters in that area bought and ran Homelites, there are a great abundance of them in that area. At the mill there are truckloads of them wasting away, most of them worn out or busted and parted out. Tough old saws that could be used for commercial felling and pulpwooding.

I have a later 1997 model Old Blue Super XL. I thoroughly enjoy running it. I put ear plugs in and enjoy the sound. I wear plugs when running all my saws though. Knocks the edge off and I actually hear the tune easier.

I have a couple of XL-76 models which are a close cousin to the XL-12. One has a stock muffler and it is LOUD, the other came without a muffler so I fabricated one with some serious baffles and it much quieter and I don't feel so guilty when it is fired up. Making mufflers by forming something out of sheet metal is fairly easy and real easy if you have a tig welder, just don't expect them to look pretty.

Latest posts

Back