Homelite XL2 carb adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoolfishguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently got a XL2 on e-bay.
After a little tinkering she started up, and now starts and runs fine.
Question:
the smaller diameter carb screw of the two is the idle, correct?

I had her idleing right yesterday, but now I can't get her slowed down. All the way in on the small screw she idles real fast, as I back it out the saw gets slower, but still way too fast. I had to settle for leaving it on the real fast side, then putting the saw on 1/2 choke if I want it to idle. On that setting it idles with the chain stopped as it should. I take it off 1/2 choke when it's time to cut again.

Any thoughts on getting that idle slowed down?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi there,
I have an XL2 and had the same issue. Started easily but idled very fast. In my case I had a fuel metering arm in the carb that was bent too aggressively. Took the carb apart, flattened the metering arm a bit and reassembled. Then set the idle needle at 1 and a half turns out. Next to the idle needle is a larger screw that looks like a rev limiter screw, but when you screw it down it actually holds the carb butterfly open slightly at idle. I set this one at a single turn out. Now my saw starts on one pull without choke and idles nice and low. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back