Homeowner in-tree top handle options to consider

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesandcars

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for a light weight in-tree climbing saw for occasional use. I have CSA

I'm a casual user with home / farm maintenance to do. I have a well used relatively light weight poulan 40cc saw for light ground work. I'm looking for a saw that I can do some in-tree work with.. Right now I need to cut a pine section out of another tree (thanks Sandy). Next summer I have a bunch of in-tree pruning to do and a couple pine removals in tight spots (I want to limb them then drop the top half off). So I'm looking for a climbing saw, or at least a saw I can climb with. I'm an experienced rock / indoor climber and also learning basic tree-climbing so I can be safe while in the tree. I'd like something lightweight and easy to handle but also somewhat capable and reliable.

From looking around it seems options are:
1) put a lanyard on my light ground saw and use that in the air... I figured that might actually be my best cheap option... can't start it safely one-handed though and it doesn't have a chain brake... so not the safest option... so I've ruled that out

2) buy a used pro top handle saw.. for how much I use it that would probably be OK. I don't want a used cheap saw though.. was thinking maybe a used MS-192t , husky 335, dolmar 3410, ms-200/201.. but the prices on used pro-saws aren't far off from new ones considering the condition they are in. ex... can't find a ms201 in good condition for less than $400.. might as well pony up the extra $150 at that point.

3) buy a new homeowner saw... l've looked at the models from Hitachi, Echo, Redmax, etc.. can't draw a conclusion about how light or how powerful or how sturdy they really are. Picked up the echo 330 in home depot and wasn't impressed on how cheap it felt. Saw a Hitachi for sale for $200, it seemed to be the same quality as the echo but a better price.

4) Buy a new pro saw... from what I read there are really only 3 new pro tophandles available(echo 355, stihl ms-201, Husqvarna 338xpt). They are all in the $450 to $600 range and I don't know if they are worth it for me.

Right now I'm liking the MS-192T because people rave about the light weight, but there are also a lot of counter-points about low power, "it's a homeowner saw", etc

constructive guidance anyone?

Before new 200t's became extinct, it was a no brainer to buy a good used one for about $250. Now there almost impossible to find under $400. Take a look at a new Husqvarna T435. Most that have used them have a favorable opinion. I would not buy a 192T if tree removals are required.

I like my MS192TC for home use, I don't climb though. It is nice and light, easy start, and adequate power. However, I'm not aware of any gas powered saws you can start one handed. You might look at a craftsman cordless for cheap in tree cutting. If I found a clean MS201T for $400 I'd buy it, because new would be more like $650 with oil and tax. The MS192TC cost me $350 with oil and tax, for the extra $60 I wouldn't mind owning a nice MS201TC, because by now my MS192TC is a $150 used saw.

Your application is taylor made for a Poulan S25, Poulan Micro series, or Homelite XL. Any of these can be bought for under $75 in very nice condition. They will be older but are pretty much bullet proof

Randy in the deer stand

Ditto on the Poulan SDA25, and I'll add the Homelite Super 2. Both are very well-built "metal" top handle saws and should work out very well for your purpose. I have both and they are a joy to run.

There are a lot of guys around here dumping their 201T's in favor of going back to the 200's. So if you have time to wait and see if one pops up, that would probably be the best option.

Otherwise,

Go new 201T, too much money?

Go new Echo 360T, too much money? (never ran the 355)

Go new 192tc. (For the little of savings you get here, I would rather have the 360)

I have/do own all three saws. They are all good, just depends on your budget, in this case, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
How much do you *really* have to cut? Reason I am asking this, is I have watched several videos now with guys using Silky hand saws up in trees. Unless you had tons to do as a job, they are quite a viable option. And even as a job, heck, one Russian video I saw, that's what they were using for pro trims and take downs! Wasn't any little bitty joke sized branches either!

Cheap compared to gas chainsaw, cut very well, much lighter than any tophandle, and you can "start" them one handed!

I think various site sponsors sell them. I'll let the tree climbers chime in with which models, etc.

Your application is taylor made for a Poulan S25, Poulan Micro series, or Homelite XL. Any of these can be bought for under $75 in very nice condition. They will be older but are pretty much bullet proof

Randy in the deer stand

Thanks for the new models to search for. I don't mind an older saw, in fact I'd almost rather have an older but higher quality used saw than a newer used lower-grade plastic saw.

If I could do the job for $75 that beats $450.. I'll check them out

Went to the local Stihl and Husqvarna/Echo dealer today: Here are my impressions:

MS-192T - lightweight, balanced, seems ok quality but a little cheaper formed plastics than I expected for a higher end saw. $310
MS-201T - not much heavier than the 192t, very similar to 192t just a little bigger. $$$

Echo CS-330t - Both 330 and 360 are very similar, 360 feels noticably heavier than 330 but still not heavy. good balance. Plasticy like all saws $250
echo CS-360t $300
Echo 341 - throwback saw with older design, seems good quality and sturdier controls / plastic but doesn't balance in hand as nice as the 330/360 but somehow seems more maneuverable. Lack of a modern grip and front-heavy balance are a detriment... rear exposed spark plug wire... $325
Echo cs-355t - the nicest of the Echo bunch, higher quality controls, great balance, looks pretty good quality. $455

Husqvarna 460T - Great balance, non-traditional design with strange muffler and lots of lightweight plastic. light, very good balance, maneuverable but strange control locations. muffler mod would be tough. $315

I left these stores more confused than ever. The CS-355 was my favorite on power/balance, quality and feel but expensive for what I do. The CS-330 seemed like the best deal overall. I liked the stihl 192T and 201, but I'm still nervous about people saying the 192T isn't powerful enough. The Husqvarna might have been my choice outright if it wasn't such a strange design.. I worry about maintenance and durability.

Last edited:
Went to the local Stihl and Husqvarna/Echo dealer today: Here are my impressions:

MS-192T - lightweight, balanced, seems ok quality but a little cheaper formed plastics than I expected for a higher end saw. $310
MS-201T - not much heavier than the 192t, very similar to 192t just a little bigger. $$$

Echo CS-330t - Both 330 and 360 are very similar, 360 feels noticably heavier than 330 but still not heavy. good balance. Plasticy like all saws $250
echo CS-360t $300
Echo 341 - throwback saw with older design, seems good quality and sturdier controls / plastic but doesn't balance in hand as nice as the 330/360 but somehow seems more maneuverable. Lack of a modern grip and front-heavy balance are a detriment... rear exposed spark plug wire... $325
Echo cs-355t - the nicest of the Echo bunch, higher quality controls, great balance, looks pretty good quality. $455

Husqvarna 460T - Great balance, non-traditional design with strange muffler and lots of lightweight plastic. light, very good balance, maneuverable but strange control locations. muffler mod would be tough. $315

I left these stores more confused than ever. The CS-355 was my favorite on power/balance, quality and feel but expensive for what I do. The CS-330 seemed like the best deal overall. I liked the stihl 192T and 201, but I'm still nervous about people saying the 192T isn't powerful enough. The Husqvarna might have been my choice outright if it wasn't such a strange design.. I worry about maintenance and durability.

Dd you actually run any of these saws???
Looking at and running a saw in a tree gives a very different oppinion of the saw.
My oppinion ....try a Silky Sugoi and a hand pole saw( silky Hayauchi on sale at baileys) both should be delivered to your door for $300...
Have fun, make enough money and buy the 201t when you can

Dd you actually run any of these saws???
Looking at and running a saw in a tree gives a very different oppinion of the saw.

No I did not run them, I just wanted to check out the feel. There are lots of posts about power and cutting but the ergonomics, weight, and external build quality are things that I wanted to see in person. None of these dealers do demo's.

Appreciate the other advice on handsaws and such.

I have the 435T and 192T and the silky Hayauchi. The 435T feels a little heavier than the 192T but also better built. It has more grunt and does not ever flood. The 192T is more nimble and cuts well enough which I suppose would be of importance if you were climbing. I don't climb. The silky hand saws and the silky Hayauchi are great saws but I use them for different situations that demand it not instead of the powered saws. I'd like to get one of those Silky Sugoi 420's to replace my 15" Corona.

Yes, yes, 12" bar for balance, yes, hate exposed plug wire, MM'd mine and OMG what a little saw, $287+$16 for a real chain, I have vids up on [video=youtube;kJYXD_anuR4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJYXD_anuR4[/video]

17.5 second cut only seems great when you realize it was 26 seconds stock, and thats with the 14" bar which is too long.

Saw cuts markably better after tank 6, and I expect better at tank 10 and after carb mods and retune.

No I did not run them, I just wanted to check out the feel. There are lots of posts about power and cutting but the ergonomics, weight, and external build quality are things that I wanted to see in person. None of these dealers do demo's.

Appreciate the other advice on handsaws and such.

Did you at least try to start any of them one handed?

The 341 is a good solid little saw. You need to actually run it to see how it balances. With the 14" bar its a bit nose heavy, but when its running at cutting speed the torque picks the bar right up and the saw balances nicely. A bit heavy in the nose is not a bad thing in any case. I don't see a problem with the plug wire.

As to the hand saws, the Silky Sughoi is a suitable option for smaller branches, and it will zip through pine like butter. I've used one for trimming in the tree, you might be surprised how quick and efficient it is compared to a chainsaw.

Right now I need to cut a pine section out of another tree

I hate dealing with broken pine trees, especially when they are hanging like that. They are brittle, unpredictable and can hurt you quick. Best bet there is tie a rope on to it and yank it out of the tree. Once its on the ground its a lot safer to dispose of.

Hi All, New guy on the Forum here. I've been reading and watching for a while and this particular post I thought I could add something.
I have a Stihl 009L that I've had for about 20 years and bought to use much like the OP says he wants to use a saw. It's been a great saw, lots of power for it's size and pretty light. If you could find a used on that is in good shape it would be ideal for your use, I think.
Recently I bought a new MS362 to compliment the 009L. I'm working on some land in the mountains I've had for years and plan to build a home there. The 362 is great for bucking and felling but lugging it up and down steep slopes to cut grape and other vines is a bit much. The little 009L works great and will cut some decent sized trees as well. It's a tough little saw.

The 341 is a good solid little saw. You need to actually run it to see how it balances. With the 14" bar its a bit nose heavy, but when its running at cutting speed the torque picks the bar right up and the saw balances nicely. A bit heavy in the nose is not a bad thing in any case. I don't see a problem with the plug wire.

As to the hand saws, the Silky Sughoi is a suitable option for smaller branches, and it will zip through pine like butter. I've used one for trimming in the tree, you might be surprised how quick and efficient it is compared to a chainsaw.

I hate dealing with broken pine trees, especially when they are hanging like that. They are brittle, unpredictable and can hurt you quick. Best bet there is tie a rope on to it and yank it out of the tree. Once its on the ground its a lot safer to dispose of.[/QU

Didnt mean to knock on 341, if it compares well ill keep it on the radar. Believe me i wish i could run them all...but thats what yins r 4

I totally agree on the pine

Latest posts

Back