Homeowner in-tree top handle options to consider

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really liking my Efco 132s, I removed the cat and gutted the muffler and set the carb. Once it's warmed up (30 seconds or so) it fires right back up again.

If you havnt already get "The Tree Climbers Companion", then get a Silky saw to start with. Using a saw in a tree is a whole different world, if things go bad you have nowhere to go. Use the hand saw for a little while and learn how the wood reacts when cut, and get comfortable with your climbing. Then I would get a used 200t if you can swing it. I have a 192t and a 200t, and the 200t wins hand down.

If you havnt already get "The Tree Climbers Companion", then get a Silky saw to start with. Using a saw in a tree is a whole different world, if things go bad you have nowhere to go. Use the hand saw for a little while and learn how the wood reacts when cut, and get comfortable with your climbing. Then I would get a used 200t if you can swing it. I have a 192t and a 200t, and the 200t wins hand down.

Good advice.. not to get on a side-tangent on climbing but I have "TTCC" and "to fell a tree" plus a bit of homeowner cutting experience. For me the tree climbing part is a fun way to get some exercise and do something productive. My plan is to practice climbing low until I can do everything safe. I'm used to being belayed and the doubled rope technique is new to me. I think I'd be more comfortable with SRT on a gri-gri but for what I want to do I'd rather just get good at doubled. My older cousin used to do in-tree work as a pro and I asked him to show me some things next time we get together before I get more than 15' off the ground and with a saw.

Back on topic:

I did a bunch of fleabay and craigslist searching for homelite, poulan(craftsman), and other older chainsaws in addition to new stuff. I finally settled on a nice condition top-handle craftsman for $86 delivered. I saw some cheaper but not as nice. Craftsman 2 0 14 Poulan 2000 Chainsaw 33cc 14" Excellent Running Saw | eBay

With what I "saved" there I can put towards a silky setup, which might actually be a lot easier on smaller tree pruning I have.

When I get the craftsman 2.0-14 I'll give it the same railroad tie comparison I did for the dolmars to see how it goes.

Good advice.. not to get on a side-tangent on climbing but I have "TTCC" and "to fell a tree" plus a bit of homeowner cutting experience. For me the tree climbing part is a fun way to get some exercise and do something productive. My plan is to practice climbing low until I can do everything safe. I'm used to being belayed and the doubled rope technique is new to me. I think I'd be more comfortable with SRT on a gri-gri but for what I want to do I'd rather just get good at doubled. My older cousin used to do in-tree work as a pro and I asked him to show me some things next time we get together before I get more than 15' off the ground and with a saw.

Back on topic:

I did a bunch of fleabay and craigslist searching for homelite, poulan(craftsman), and other older chainsaws in addition to new stuff. I finally settled on a nice condition top-handle craftsman for $86 delivered. I saw some cheaper but not as nice. Craftsman 2 0 14 Poulan 2000 Chainsaw 33cc 14" Excellent Running Saw | eBay

With what I "saved" there I can put towards a silky setup, which might actually be a lot easier on smaller tree pruning I have.

When I get the craftsman 2.0-14 I'll give it the same railroad tie comparison I did for the dolmars to see how it goes.

Wow that has to be the most extensive description I have ever read on a ebay add!

Congratulation on the buy!

How much do you *really* have to cut? Reason I am asking this, is I have watched several videos now with guys using Silky hand saws up in trees. Unless you had tons to do as a job, they are quite a viable option. And even as a job, heck, one Russian video I saw, that's what they were using for pro trims and take downs! Wasn't any little bitty joke sized branches either!

Cheap compared to gas chainsaw, cut very well, much lighter than any tophandle, and you can "start" them one handed!

I think various site sponsors sell them. I'll let the tree climbers chime in with which models, etc.

I won't go up into a tree without my Silky in a leg scabbard. Quiet, fast and infinitely safer than running a chainsaw for a beginning climber.

This old post flashed across my email again so I figured I'd give an update:

- Poulan I purchased worked OK but it was a little lacking on power. I rebuilt it with a mild port, new piston ring, de-gasketed the base: Worked even better. Then I gave it to my neighbor because he helped me out.

- Found a Dolmar TH3410 in great condition, have an hour on the ground with that getting used to it. nice and light and well balanced and what I like best is suprisingly quiet for the power (something nobody talks about here)..

- didn't order the hand saw yet but probably will soon since it's warming up and time to get outside.

Yeah so fun videos up there. I really have to get a new camera and make some more videos

If you have the money 200T. If you want a cheap easy starting lightweight $300 dollar Top handle saw T435 with a muffler mod will run circles around a 192T and will last longer to boot.

I can't disagree with anything that has already been said. I would like to have a 200T, but I really don't need a top handle all that often. That said, I found a little Echo CS 3400 in nice shape on eBay for $100. Put a chisel chain on it and it cuts and handles well. Not a professional saw, but light and fun.

I think either way u go you will be ok, in my opinion I have a 192, a 200 and a 201. I started w he 192 cuz I didn't wanna spend the $$ on a 200....and I regret that seeing that I paid a lot more later on for a 200. The 192 worked great for me, it was reliable, light and cheaper.. Starting it was tuff once in a while but I got over it. Then I bought a 201 and hated it. I came on here n researched it and sent it to brad and its like a whole new saw now. After running that and my 200 there's a huge difference in the power and throttle response!! My advice to u is spend the extra $$ and get a 201 and send it to brad. For $50 you will be very pleased. The 192 is still a great saw, but the 200 or 201 modded is better. Good luck:rock:

Dolmar 3410 TH

If you're shy of dropping four bills ++ on a new tophandle but don't want to settle for lower quality, take a good look at the 3410TH.

Plus there is a used one currently listed in the classifieds here.

I have a 200t and a 192t--no drought the 200t wins hands down but it is not as easy for me, or my wife, to start as the 192t. I have owned many saws and I have never owned a saw that could be started with a light--quick jab of the starter.
My wife says the 192t is hers:msp_biggrin:

I bought a husqvarna 435T a couple of weeks ago. Performance was mediocre with the first couple of tanks. The more I run it, the more it seems to be waking up. My only complaint is that I had to turn the oiler all the way up to get it to put out enough of the cheap bar oil I had. Husqvarna bar oil is a little thinner, and so is Stihl bar oil, which means I'll probably have to adjust it back down after I run the last of the cheap stuff.

I was very unimpressed with the Stihl 192 after a couple of cuts with the one my uncle owns. Didn't feel like it had any guts at all. Haven't had a chance to try his Echo 360T, but I didn't like the feel or balance of it and it is a little heavier than the T435.

Latest posts

Back