honey bee's or hornet's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pafire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Since the warm weather has arrived, I am having a problem with hornets or honeybee's that are swarming around my firewood, that is ranked in a enclosure made from wooden skids and covered with a piece of rubber sheating. They do not seem to be building a nest at this time .Can anyone tell me what I can do to remove these critters.

I'd start by leaving them alone - unless your kids are allergic. Then, I'd find out exactly what kind of bee-type creature they are. And then I'd leave them alone and let them work. Bees have an invaluable service to perform every year and we all can get along just fine, usually.

Big and black and angry or black and yellow striped?

Big and black and angry, their Hornets. Theyll sting you 10-20 times before you know what hit you.

Call a bug guy or rent a flamethrower.

If black and yellow about an inch long their wasps. Theyll just sting you.

Leave them be.

Small and black/yellow, their yellow jackets. They wont bother you much and you have to try and kill them for them to sting you.

Eat them with milk and sugar.

honey bee's are precious!

they are just now starting to recover from being almost killed off in some areas. mites...

hornets I don't trust, my policy was to leave em alone. that is until one came around me and I held perfectly still. that hornet stung the H*ll out of me.

now my policy is any time one gets near me it's gets killed. no more waiting around to get stung. hornets will sting unprovoked.

I don't trust hornets either. Nothing like a big, tough arborist running around the front yard waving and screaming at seemingly nothing. The bald-faced ones seem to be ornery just for sake of it. This past January, I collected a hive that was about two feet long virtually intact. Shoulda taken a pic before giving to my niece for show-and-tell.

Honey bees need water and will get it from freshly cut wood if it is closer than their other sources. Or if it is hornets they will go after any sap that has some form of sugar in it, honey bees will some also. I raised bees for a few years for the honey.

There are people that tend honey bee hives that may take them if that is what you have. Knew a guy on the linecrew that could make them come to him with a plow share- hitting it several times with a ball peen hammer. I have had red wasps get into my wood before- had to wait for a cool morning to get rid of them.

Latest posts

Back