Hook suggestions???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern Boy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I do most of my sawing by myself. I use a cant hook to roll my most of my stuff, but I was watching a video of a guy milling some wood and noticed him using a hook. He was using it to pick the wood up and to roll it and it seemed like a good option. I think I'm going to try and experiment with one and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and could give me pros/cons or recommendations on them.

I was looking at this one: http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/1448?mv_session_id=FKS3xFCw&product_sku=15840

Thanks for any and all help!
Kris

Hey Kris, Kris here, hahahaha....

Anway, a hook like that seems like it would work well. I have a peavey with an 18" handle that I use when I need something short. Seems a hook like that would work just as well though, as long as it gets a good bite.

Norwood industries sells one like that too, and i'm sure there's others that also sell them...

I never use one though, it reminds me too much of the hay hooks i HAD to use as a kid!!

DM

Sawyer Rob said:
I never use one though, it reminds me too much of the hay hooks i HAD to use as a kid!!
DM

Thats the first thing that popped into my head when I saw that too... a hay hook for grabbing bales.

CaseyForrest said:
Neither, its a Cant hook. I know I called it a Peavey, but I had them mistaken. I have one with a 60" handle, and one with an 18" handle.

I've the 5ft canthook and find it usefull for most logs I roll. Anything bigger is too heavy for regular use due to the size needed to prevent flex in the handle.

Back