horse s**t as a top dressing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ammons phillips

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am aerating around some big maples and would like to spread some horse manure around. are there any special considerations/precautions? we are looking for some organic, readily available fertilizer. any help in the organic field would be helpful. i am versed in organic gardening and it seems like it would transfer over to tree care. would the horse ???? be too hot? thanks, b

besides being an arborist , i run a small organic vegetable and wildflower farm. I use plenty of horsesh#t, definately use well composted manure. It wont burn and it will supply the nutrients now. I also use mushroom soil which is full of organic material, but i also live near Kennett Square PA, mushroom capital of the world. LOL JPM

Definately agree well aged mushroom compost is excellent, I too live near a large mushroom farm. I had heard horse sh*t was not as "nutritious" as some others, eg sheep and cow in that order, as the horse's digestive system is a little more efficient tham others. But if that is all you can get, by all means use it, just make sure it is not green. My veggie garden was the recipient of elephant poo last year. I was working in an arena and the circus visited, so I took in a couple of garbage cans and filled them, seemed to work well once I composted it with some other stuff. And it was free.

make sure the horsesh*t is composted, if put down fresh it will surely burn. it's the same way w/ cow manure, everything's fine as long as it has been broken down 1st!!!!
budroe:cool:

Latest posts

Back