Hot chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Co3Da

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got a chain getting pretty hot after a few slices, seems to be oiling fine even adjusted it to put out a little more just in case, any suggestions. Never noticed this before. Should post this is a new sprocket and bar and chain, never bought a new bar and chain before wondering if this is normal till it breaks in.

Last edited:
hey south central pa alright im in harrisburg, yeah ended up being the sprocket it was worn and catching in the grooves moves real nice now just gets pretty hot its my first time using this chain bar setup its low kick with a 95vp chain and sharp, just not sure if its suppose to be getting this hot ,thought maybe it just needed broken in. not sure.

On any of my saws I have no trouble touching the bar during blocking/felling/limbing, when the chain is faily sharp.

If I let it go too long, she will get too warm to touch.

do the spit test.
if you spit on it and it sizzles then she is too hot.
if not, keep cuttin

Prolly forgot to soak it...

Don't feel bad, I put a new .404 24" bar and chain on my 394 and it was so hot I couldn't comfortably touch it.

yeah I soaked it but I am thinking that its just like that I just put the old bar and chain on and went down into the woods and cut some downed trees and after about 8 good rips it was so hot I couldnt touch it, spit on it and it didnt sizzle so I kept going didnt give me any problems, so I guess its fine, thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back