Hotsaw practice type of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOBRDGO

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, Being in linework, I have an unending supply of utility poles to cut up. Will a treated pole, possibly pressure treated, penta oil soaked douglas fir, southern yellow pine,and or red cedar suffice for real world practice? I read that being familiar with type of wood you are cutting is important to efficiency.

I'd recommend something a little less soaked in whatever. try oak, or plain pine. maybe Aspen or cedar, NOT utility poles.

Creosote will make a chain take a dump real fast, kinda like mexican water on man. Practice your skill saw speed cutting on poles and you will be happier. Sorry

roger that on no utility poles!!!

Rats, That means I'll have to mooch up to the Asplundh guys nextdoor for some real wood. I always wondered why chainsaws never cut worth a ???? for any length of time on utility poles. An old timer from Montana here filed off every other tooth on a small Stihl we use and it works better. I'm sure that's an old tired trick to you guys. If I was a better typist I'd go into the specific dynamics of cutting treated power poles in detail and ask a lot more questions. Later thanks

If you want to race on the west coast just practice on all the soft wood you can find and make a chain that is fast for each type of wood you can get and mark it and save it for racing And good luck

Latest posts

Back