How bad can wood be and still be OK for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNYCountry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have several large hardwood trees that the previous owner cut and left in my woodlot. They have been down and there is some fungus activity but the wood is still hard and fairly dry.

Am I correct that as long as the wood is not soft and punky it is still OK as firewood? This does have the black barrier lines in it and different colored areas but is still hard.

I am hoping to both clean up the woodlot and get some wood that I have a chance of getting dry by this fall, since it's so late in the summer for firewood cutting.

IMHO, even if it has to be shoveled into a box but is dry, it can go into my fireplace.

If it will burn,use it.It's never too late to cut firewood,but if alive,it won't be dry 'til next season.If it is downed stuff,split it and it will most likely be usable by mid winter,which is 6 months away.

Al Smith said:
If it will burn,use it.It's never too late to cut firewood,but if alive,it won't be dry 'til next season.If it is downed stuff,split it and it will most likely be usable by mid winter,which is 6 months away.

It's stuff that's been down for a while or standing and very dry, the wood is very light to handle so I am assuming it's dry. Split and stacked I think I will have enough that is dry but time will tell..

I have tons of diseased beech and maple, great to cut now and let season until the winter following this coming one...

Thanks for the input.. :cool:

Latest posts

Back