How cold is your house in the morning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipehead

Farticus Maximus
Reaction score
How cold is your house in the morning? At roughly 25F (-5C) nightime temp (give or take), mine is around the 66F (18 or 19C) come morning, with moderately running the stove. What do others find?

we have a natural gas furnace so it isn't so critical to keep the insert going constantly, thermostat is set at 66F. I would imagine if i shut it off it would probably be in the mid 50s when i get up and when i get home from work

Nomatter what I do, the stove room falls from upper 70s to lower 60s by morning. The rooms in the home don't vary nearly so much as the stove room going down from high 60s down to low 60s. This is independent of outside temp, really it is caused by the low burn time of the smallish stove I have. Smallish stove is necessary because a bigger stove being burnt cleanly would create too much heat in the stove room.

Life would be different with a superior technology stove like a Blaze King with it's 20-40 hour burn times and clean burning low output settings. Instead I have a much more attractive Hearthstone non-cat product that has two settings, hot and hotter.

THE STOVE IS LOADED NIGHTLY AT 11 PM.. wake up time is 5:30 to 7 am... usual temp at 5:30 is around 70 degs. at 7/65 degs.. its hardly ever down to 55 as the temps outside drope below zero... love the wood heat!!

A 25-degree overnight low is a warm night in these parts and is usually coupled with daytime highs well over freezing (32F). I can get the fire goin' when I get home from work (about 5:30 PM) and re-stoke around 9:00 or 10:00... the house will still be above 70-degrees at 5:00 AM when I get up. I'll load the stove in the mornng once and that will keep the house above 70 all day.

If the overnight low drops into the low teens than the house will be down into the high 60's by morning. The next few days is gonn'a use up quite a bit of wood though... forecast is for daytime highs of maybe 2-degrees and overnight lows well below 0... gott'a love NE Iowa in the winter.

Our place is sealed up pretty well, so it rarely gets below 65 unless I hit the rack early and the stove is down to just a few coals.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

last couple of weeks never below 75....load the stove at 9 pm. cut it back and get up at 5 am.... 75-80 at bed time.. out side temp 20-25---

With overnight temps getting down to the single digits the house gets down to the low 60's and the oil furnace will kick in around 5AM. Once I get the stove stoked the furnace won't come on until the next morning. With temps getting down to the teens below zero the next few days, I am sure to be burning more fuel oil. :(

Wife adds a couple logs to the already established fire at around 10pm at bed time ..house temp at 72. I get up at 4:45 to 65-67 temps and a small pile of coals.

This is with my low-tech USSC 1600 and 20 low-30 high outside temp range in a moderately sealed ranch.

Our woodstove is centrally located in a finished basement. I have 3 grills in the basement ceiling and 3 registers in the floor upstairs.
Outside temp was 10F this morning. The basement was at 76F and the upstairs was at 64F with just enough coals in the stove to fire it up again.
The wood I'm burning right now is not the best, as I'm saving the better stuff for Jan. and Feb. It has been a colder than usual December so far though.:p

Olix Air-Flo Wood/Coal Stove around 25 years old.

frontview.jpg

Kevin

last night was 7 degrees.....furthest room from the fireplace was at 70....a bit too hot for sleeping.

Usually right on 65 just like the thermostat calls for. Got it bumped up a bit by the time the wife/kids get up.

Yesterday morning it was in the mid-50's when I rolled over to look at the clock around 5:00 and the clock was dark. Dang - lost power! Laid there for a while before I decided to get the generator out to make the OWB pump circulate.

my dogs usually wake me up about 3 to go outside and prowl around for the rest of the night The stove is still rocking and rolling but I add a couple of sticks to keep it going Stays in the mid 70s all night been getting down to about 20 here lately

The stove sits in the back corner of my house. I usually stock it up around 1030 and wake up around 530-6 and its 68 or so in the back of the house. In the front of the house where the thermostat for the nat gas its around 63. I have the thermostat set at 60. Our bedroom is in the front of the house upstairs FAR AWAY from the stove and our room is usually 62 Perfect sleeping temp.

Jeff

It's usually around 64 we never get it overly warm, old 2 story house lots of windows. Were always comfortable, especially in our family room where our insert is, keeps us out of the tv room that way.:blob2:

Load the stove at about 10, outside temps single to 0. Temp will peak sometime around midnight, 85+ in the stove room, at 6 am room temp about 76 is typical, turn her up a bit, warm up really good for family time in am, then reload stove after 8am for the all day burn. I love my non epa King!

Back