How common is the de-comp valve leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You decomp pluggers may want to think twice. Just saying....... Here is 2260 Jonsered, ported n such popped decomp out and I pulled again. 25° that day...
2948af39bb57987156f8f7fcb0d4d812.jpg

Yup...... I have one of those too. Definitely use the decomp more now.

Ron.......you need to learn to start them with your other hand. As odd as that feels, sounds, etc, you really should.

I've suffered a torn rotator cuff, elbow injuries, torn tendons, broken ribs, crushed vertebrates, and have even cut off one of my thumbs. All the while.......I kept working. A man just has to adapt. Work smart..........and keep going.

My left shoulder pain is chronic (5 years +) so unlikely that I will switch hands for starting. Can't trace it to a specific injury but I sure can make it sore with use. I didn't know how much I covered for it with my right until I injured my right. Maybe I'll get it looked at further if the right does well. Doc repaired a full thickness tear in my right RC along with a torn bicep. Family , friends and others are after me to quit because I just cut for pleasure and to help folks a little. Plus it almost killed me once - but that is another story. Ron

My left shoulder pain is chronic (5 years +) so unlikely that I will switch hands for starting. Can't trace it to a specific injury but I sure can make it sore with use. I didn't know how much I covered for it with my right until I injured my right. Maybe I'll get it looked at further if the right does well. Doc repaired a full thickness tear in my right RC along with a torn bicep. Family , friends and others are after me to quit because I just cut for pleasure and to help folks a little. Plus it almost killed me once - but that is another story. Ron

My shoulders are good...full thickness tears of the supraspanitus on both shoulders. And as painful as the surgery was for those, the repair of the labrum tear was worse. Take it easy with the recovery, it's easy to overdo it once you start feeling better. It takes a year to regain the full strength of the tendon where it is reinserted. Your soreness will be gone before then and it's easy to re-tear. The labrum was healed in a couple of months, but the post-surgery pain literally kept me awake for 36+hr despite the pain meds.

Ever see a saw pass the test on the bench but leak running?
Only with vaccum.

De-comps save wear an tear on the body and the saw. Anybody care to come on up and start a 395 at -40F? Let alone a 372?
Most de-comp leaks are from impact damage or re-use damaging the crush washer, and rendering it less than reliable.

Hmmm... I have a decomp valve on an old Stihl 066 that will almost drop down on its own. It always pops up when the saw fires and/or runs, but is being so loose that it almost falls down on it's on a good sign? WDYT? I ordered a new one, but I'd like the forum's opinion.

I wire brush every decomp that comes through my shop. Lots of them have carbon build up, though it's not on the underside of the plunger.
This loose one that will almost drop down on its own was the first that I have ever seen. Most use a light press fit so that they will always stay up when the engine fires. Seems like a much worse condition is one that won't pop up because the fit is too tight.

This loose one that will almost drop down on its own was the first that I have ever seen. Most use a light press fit so that they will always stay up when the engine fires. Seems like a much worse condition is one that won't pop up because the fit is too tight.
Vac and pressure test it and be done. Its the hard to push carboned and crapped up de-comps that worry me most. Only way to know for sure is to test it.

The only thing I use a de-comp on is my SP125... that MF'r will flat out hurt you if you don't.

I'm no weakling at all, but I prefer the decomp on my stock 066 with 160 psi. If it pops off half pull, the cord rips my hand. I use it for every start, don't see the need to be a hero and plug it.

Now on the 026 PRO I just built, it's kinda useless. My buddy's 72cc 038 MAG doesn't have one, no problems starting for me at all. But that damn 066, could never see plugging that one....

Only with vaccum.

De-comps save wear an tear on the body and the saw. Anybody care to come on up and start a 395 at -40F? Let alone a 372?
Most de-comp leaks are from impact damage or re-use damaging the crush washer, and rendering it less than reliable.

heck I am afraid to start a discussion at -40. let alone a saw
DDave

Latest posts

Back