How common is the de-comp valve leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've had three fail( pressure) in the last year. I keep a few plugs handy just for that. any pressure test should be done decomp "deleted". hence the bag-o-plugs.
that said, Ive never needed a decomp to start a saw until I got a 385xp lovingly caressed by this big guy in TN who looks like HuskStihl...

I, like him, thought it was frozen up the first time I pulled it....almost fell over. Holy S that thing requires some ET...(extra testicle)

Mine is just a threaded brass nipple from the plumbing dept wrapped with Teflon tape. Works like a charm.

Ya, I need to bite the bullet and buy/make a spark plug pressure/vac adaptor for my no impulse line saws

Jon,
i got no idea where i picked it up but I got one with a tip on it that replaces the decomp button. I just hook a hose to it and pump away. I can't even JB weld, no less weld weld.

I use them if they are there, that's it.

Gets to the point starting and running a gas saw sucks too bad, I'll use the battery saw. Instant on/off is just spiffy.

I plug everything less than 70cc.
Keep the decomp so you can install it if you find that age, injury, sudden weakness due to marriage makes starting the saw hard.

My MM 361 starts fine without the decomp, if i get weak/injured i would consider installing one.
Keep the saws in good tune they will start.

288s, 880s, worked 660s should have starting units or kick starters anyways.

Not yet, I also spin them when I pressure test them to make sure they are sound all the way around. Could it happen, sure.

I am sitting here one week out from shoulder surgery. Everyone and his brother is telling me to give up sawing. I have no present intentions of doing that and I can't wait to get back to cutting, but candidly I am not looking forward to starting any of my saws. Ron
I've had orthoscopic surgery on a shoulder and a knee and I can offer this advice; do everything the rehab people tell you. No cheating, no halfass effort.

I am sitting here one week out from shoulder surgery. Everyone and his brother is telling me to give up sawing. I have no present intentions of doing that and I can't wait to get back to cutting, but candidly I am not looking forward to starting any of my saws. Ron

Ron.......you need to learn to start them with your other hand. As odd as that feels, sounds, etc, you really should.

I've suffered a torn rotator cuff, elbow injuries, torn tendons, broken ribs, crushed vertebrates, and have even cut off one of my thumbs. All the while.......I kept working. A man just has to adapt. Work smart..........and keep going.

You decomp pluggers may want to think twice. Just saying....... Here is 2260 Jonsered, ported n such popped decomp out and I pulled again. 25° that day...
2948af39bb57987156f8f7fcb0d4d812.jpg

You decomp pluggers may want to think twice. Just saying....... Here is 2260 Jonsered, ported n such popped decomp out and I pulled again. 25° that day...
2948af39bb57987156f8f7fcb0d4d812.jpg

In the motorcycle world bikes sold with automatic decomps are built lighter in the starting systems. When the decomps stop working for whatever reason (typically loose valve clearance on a 4t) parts break soon after. I wouldn't be surprise to see starter parts built lighter on a saw for cost or weight reasons.

Latest posts

Back