How did I live without this tool?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peavy for me.
Better advantage of being able to roll logs and the peavy can hold a log off the ground for easy cutup.
One is better as a log roller/holder and one better to drag/pry things to another place.
Both great tools.

I cut firewood for 35 years before AS introduced the hookeroon/pickeroon to me. I feel foolish for not trying one earlier. My back is pretty good but this tool is still a big help. Mine is a Dixie "something". I had to reshape the point a little for better penetration and carrying capabilities with the oak I usually cut but that was no big deal. I recently purchased a couple pulp hooks but haven't used them yet. I have no doubt they will become good friends also. When we have a few years on us we learn to work a little smarter. There is a price if we do and there is a price if we don't.

Right on the money hardpan, wife saw a few posts about em after I told her the guys on A.S. love em and get me one if she saw one at an auction. She got a two fer deal on feebay, said she has never seen one here in Indiana. Well, I love the darn thing, makes life easier and helps my finicky back. THank god for a good woman and the great guys on A.S.

Unloading and Pulling

Anyone who doesn't have some sort of pickeroon or even a simple handle with a heavy hook to help drag logs is overworking himself. A tool that helps reach into the front section of a pickup bed and drag or get a log rolling is a great help.

Nosmo

Anyone who doesn't have some sort of pickeroon or even a simple handle with a heavy hook to help drag logs is overworking himself. A tool that helps reach into the front section of a pickup bed and drag or get a log rolling is a great help.

Nosmo

:agree2:

If you got a plastic bed liner, it works slick-as-snot for yanking rounds out of a truck bed. "Never leave home without it."

I have both the Peavy brand and a Logrite. They both work well for moving logs around, but the Peavy hook "sticks" in the log better if I want it to, probably because it's heavier. It sticks well enough in endgrain that I can pick a log up with it if I want to and then comes out with a twist. I like both, but I like the Peavy more.

On Peavy's website, I see 8 choices of pickeroon heads and a variety of handle lengths. Are you picking logs up with two of these or mostly using one of them to drag and roll rounds?

:agree2:

If you got a plastic bed liner, it works slick-as-snot for yanking rounds out of a truck bed. "Never leave home without it."

Need an extra bed liner or 3? They're the FIRST thing that comes out of any truck I buy. Hate em with the same passion I hate box elder and possums. Gotta tie down anything you don't want bounced from wall to wall of the truck bed constantly, and the box rusts out underneath em anyhow. Useless waste of petroleum byproducts if there ever was one.

Need an extra bed liner or 3? They're the FIRST thing that comes out of any truck I buy. Hate em with the same passion I hate box elder and possums. Gotta tie down anything you don't want bounced from wall to wall of the truck bed constantly, and the box rusts out underneath em anyhow. Useless waste of petroleum byproducts if there ever was one.

The corrugation give big snappin' turtles a place to get a grip, Steve. Gives 'em a sporting chance en route to the washtub.

To each his own I guess, I like being able to easily slide material in and out of the bed while the bed is protected. Never had one rust out, but you could put a coating like spray bed liner down first. I have a rubber mat I throw on the liner for when I am transporting items I don't want moving around and can't (or don't want to) tie down.

I use a layer of closed cell foam between the bed and plastic liner. There was a company that made it called bedsaver or something like that. I used it on my new 06 Tundra and didn't have any rust or worn through paint when I traded it in for a 10 Tundra. I like to be able to throw a log in the bed without worrying about denting it.

When I grew up my dad had one, always called it his peckerdoodler. I got one for myself a while back. Can't cut wood with one. I am not joking here people, you NEED one of these. I get mine from pickaroon.com. check them out, priced right and excellent product. Get the one with the longest handle you can.

When I grew up my dad had one, always called it his peckerdoodler. I got one for myself a while back. Can't cut wood with one. I am not joking here people, you NEED one of these. I get mine from pickaroon.com. check them out, priced right and excellent product. Get the one with the longest handle you can.

So, you recommend the 4 ft handle?

Right on the money hardpan, wife saw a few posts about em after I told her the guys on A.S. love em and get me one if she saw one at an auction. She got a two fer deal on feebay, said she has never seen one here in Indiana. Well, I love the darn thing, makes life easier and helps my finicky back. THank god for a good woman and the great guys on A.S.

To top it off, I have actually seen them around many times at auctions and "junk" shops but didn't know or ask about their intended use. I even have a small collection of antique wood working tools (broad axe, fro, adz, draw knives, etc.). I still don't know how much hook is too much on them. When I re-shaped the tip of mine I increased the hook effect and improved the pulling and lifting ability.

So, you recommend the 4 ft handle?

The 4 foot handle would be handy for the extra reach. From what I've seen an axe handle is pretty well standard. You may want to consider if the need arises to replace the handle. Can you easily find or make a replacement handle? I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I have never used one with a longer handle.

No, I couldn't make a replacement handle and typically, the hardware replacements are very expensive.

For those who can't see why teh price of a "nail on a stick" should be so high, you can make your own. I've posted thsi before but here it is again.

My 7' to reach those rounds in the front of the bed:

006-12.jpg

004.jpg

Closet pole, compression fitting fromt he plumbing bins, short length of 1/2" all thread. The plumbing fitting is a bit spendy but total cost is still half of what a commercial one is.

Make two, one short about 32" and one long. 7' is just right to reach the front of the bed. That compression fitting adds just enough weight out there to 'stick' the point.

Harry K

Harry K

Latest posts

Back