How did you come up with your user name?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew you would get the Hot Boat joke, just not everyone else.
I think what sunk Hot Boat was when the new owners shut down the forums the first time, it pissed off a lot of people and they dropped their subscriptions. The advertisers went to Performance Boat.

My boat is an Eliminator Scorpion.

Nice hull.

Agreed on Hot Boat's demise.

As posted on the Performance Boats East Coast forums, look me up if you ever go to the Lake Anna events in Virginia, and to keep this arborist related, bring some chainsaws!!!!

Last edited:
Stihl-O-Matic

I coined the name for my saw when the clutch springs get weak and the pads are a little warn and the saw decides it wants to spin on its own.

Hey look at my new Stihl-O-Matic

Love my boat...

Hot Boat had a magazine? :hmm3grin2orange:

I could of used my boating name '502Jet' but......
My screen name comes from the number I use on the CB radio '454'.
15596DSC00831_1_-med.JPG

This might be in away chainsaw related...My 1967 Evinrude Sportsman 155....Some of the younger folks might not know the history behind this,,but there is a Evinrude and Mcculloch tie to this.........Goes back deeper than 1967...............Goes from Mr. Mcculloch,,,,his father inlaw,,,*Briggs and Stratton* And with his inlaws,,,Evinrude...Long story...
For all of us that enjoys boats too,,and OMC, you know,,Johnson,,Evinrude...Kinda a trivia to the younger folks...Back years ago,,,Evinrude and Johnson not only made motors,,but hulls for boats as well...It was only a short span,,,60 tru 70's but diffrent models,,some outboards and alot of inboards....The sportsman came with inboard and outboard motors and the rest inboard....I was lucky to find a decent Sportsman years ago with a inboard....She is pretty and gull wing design...Funny when I take it out people looks and see the Evinrude tag on her and ask me ,,they made boats hulls???
Just wanted to share for some that never seen one...........

attachment.php

A woooooooohooooooooo! I have gotten a few questions on my avi already. If my moniker was Chester Burnett most would be really lost! Not the Joat apparently! You rock!

Wouldn't "Pinetop" be more appropriate for a chainsaw forum?

Name of a character in one of my favorite Westerns. Anybody know? :)

Is that the one where the girl kept confusing Quigley with her husband? That's one of my favorites too. I had the pleasure of meeting Wolfgang Droege who owned Shiloh Rifle Mfg who built the rifle for Tom Selleck. I bought a Long Range Express from him when I toured the facility - basically just like the one Selleck used except mine is in 45-70. I love Sharps rifles...Shiloh's are works of art. I got to handle the actual gun when Wolfgang had it on display at one of the SHOT shows a few years back.

Is that the one where the girl kept confusing Quigley with her husband? That's one of my favorites too. I had the pleasure of meeting Wolfgang Droege who owned Shiloh Rifle Mfg who built the rifle for Tom Selleck. I bought a Long Range Express from him when I toured the facility - basically just like the one Selleck used except mine is in 45-70. I love Sharps rifles...Shiloh's are works of art. I got to handle the actual gun when Wolfgang had it on display at one of the SHOT shows a few years back.

The Quigley is 45-110 or 45-120 right?

The Quigley is 45-110 or 45-120 right?

I'm pretty sure it was the 45-110.

Do you know about the shot Billy Dixon made at the battle of Adobe Wells when he killed an indian at about 1500 yard a Sharps Buffalo rifle, most likely in 50-90.

Some today say it didn't happen because the gun wouldn't shoot that far but I believe it did happen as do many historians.

Another famous Roy Cobb

Roy Cobb

Roy Cobb was a soldier who served with the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, U.S. 101st Airborne Division, in Easy company during World War II. He was played by Craig Heaney in the 10-part television mini-series Band of Brothers. Roy Cobb was discharged from service after assaulting an officer in Haguenau after consuming a bottle of schnapps[citation needed].

He was portrayed in Band of Brothers as a very unfriendly and bitter person. This is thought to be because he served so long in the army but was never promoted. However he is described in Stephen E Ambroses book Band of Brothers as invariably good natured. He had served in the army for 9 years before he joined the Parachute Infantry. In that time he took part in an assault landing in Africa with the 1st Armoured Division and survived a torpedo attack that sank the troop ship he was on when traveling back to the states. During the drop into Normandy, Cobb was wounded in the plane he was in and could not jump. He rejoined Easy Company after they returned from Normandy and parachuted into Holland as a part of the unsuccessful Allied attempt in taking a number of bridges across the Rhine as a part of Operation Market Garden. He also fought in the Battle of the Bulge and at Haguenau.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Cobb

I'm pretty sure it was the 45-110.

Do you know about the shot Billy Dixon made at the battle of Adobe Wells when he killed an indian at about 1500 yard a Sharps Buffalo rifle, most likely in 50-90.

Some today say it didn't happen because the gun wouldn't shoot that far but I believe it did happen as do many historians.

Yup... That isn't the only long range story told of the Sharps and the West.

In 1864, Colonel Kit Carson had led a small contingent into the area and had fought an inconclusive battle with Comanches at an abandoned trading post near present-day Borger, TX, called Adobe Wells. That was the "First Battle of Adobe Wells." Adobe Wells had been an on-again/off-again commercial settlement since 1845, and Comanche Indian attacks had been more or less continuous ever since. As a result, the outpost had been abandoned and resettled numerous times.

Since then, a charismatic Comanche warrior (actually a half-breed), named Quana Parker ("Parker" was his White mother's maiden name, she having been captured by Comanche as a child) emerged at a powerful chief. Like Little Turtle, Pontiac, and Tecumseh before him, Parker possessed eminent diplomatic acumen, a rare talent among Indians. He had decided to forcefully oppose further incursions of his territory, but in an organized way. His persuasive powers, along with those of his spiritual councilor Isa-tai, insured thatvarious sub-tribes were all behind him.

By the 1870s, Adobe Wells was serving as an intermittent rendevous point, and supply base, for itinerant buffalo hunters and their entourages. In the summer of 1874, persistent rumors of yet another Indian attack had caused most Adobe Wells' residents to flee. On Saturday, 27 June 1874, there were only twenty-eight occupants, nearly all of them heavily-armed, hard-bitten, individual hunters, including a young Bartholomew ("Bat") Masterson and crack-shot, Billy Dixon.

Parker descended upon Adobe Wells at dawn on Saturday with several hundred mounted warriors. Their sincere intent was to wipe out the post and massacre everyone in it. The siege lasted four days, but the heavily-armed buffalo hunters, with plenty of ammunition, held out the entire first day, inflicting hefty casualties on the Indian force with their Sharps Buffalo Rifles (50-70, 50-90, 44-77). Because of their exceptional accuracy, the hunters were able to establish an expansive "stand-off" zone that Indians were unable to successfully penetrate. Thus prevented from getting close enough to inflict damage, the Comanche were slowly defeated in detail. By the end of the second day, due to critical loss of warriors and horses, the assault was substantially crippled. By the forth day, with reinforcements arriving at the post, a dejected and despondent Parker abandoned the siege.

The contingent of beleaguered hunters suffered four fatalities, one the result of an AD! Indian fatalities probably totaled fewer than one-hundred, but many more irreplaceable horses were also killed.

The Battle is most famous for a single, long-range shot made by a young buffalo hunter, named Billy Dixon. Using his Sharps Rifle, probably fifty-caliber, Dixon fired the shot at a group of Indians on horseback on a distant hill. The Indians, naively confident they were out of range, were stationary. The single bullet literally fell from the sky and struck one of the warriors, knocking him off his horse, probably fatally injuring him. His comrades were dumbfounded and horrified! They dragged his body off and withdrew. The range was in excess of one-thousand meters, and even Dixon himself later admitted it was a "lucky shot." However, added to the rest of the deadly-accurate fire unrelentingly emanating from the post, this event broke the spirit ofthe attackers.

My two wheeled ride....TRIumph Sprint RS 955i

Yea, I guess I like to be different too, Triumph, ATK, Shindaiwa, Brno, the list goes on and on. You should meet my wife and kid!!!!

Last edited:
My initials and a number that has come up on a daily basis since I was assigned to tha 305th Air Refueling Squadron in SAC, I was an inflight refueling boom operator on KC-97G's. WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Latest posts

Back