How did your wood season this year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We seemed to have an excess of rainy weather this year. I was worried that it might not have gotten dry enough because of the high humidity and lower than normal temperatures.

So far it seems to be OK the Elm has dried enough that the bark has pulled loose from the wood. the smaller rounds slip out of the bark leaving a hollow shell or skin. Everything else seems on par for this time of year as well. Hedge and Mulberry, cut last Winter and Spring, still feels heavy but sound like bricks when they get tossed around and light easily enough.

I think I'm good to go for this years selling/burning season.

Our summer has been the worst that I have seen in a long while when it comes to drying anything out.I cut 6 cords of white oak in January and I just tested it this morning for moisture content.30 percent!top was covered with sheet metal, but it appears that there is more moisture in this wood when it was green.My hickory stacks did a little better, I have one end of my wood yard that gets sun from 10am on, but the moisture in that stack was still almost 20 percent.
going to be a long cold winter with all this wet wood.Although if it doesnt cool off any, I guess I wont have to worry about selling anyway!Its 70 degrees today!

Dont know yet but its probably ok we did have lots of rain though and wind and more wind and then the wind blew some more. :)

I have moved and rearanged my to-be-split wood pile a few times with my tractor to keep it aired out fwtw.

Kansas

OK, need for some har, har now----better seasoning 18" long "logs" cut side up or lying on their side? I don't burn wood and have a few trees down in an area where I can't get them out without splitting. Gotta be on their side...:newbie:

Karl

Just my .002, but in my outside between 2 trees stack I leave the bark up on split wood so it sheds water for no other reason. I bet it doesnt matter about seasoning though really dont know for sure?

Kansas

Ive got 3 cords that are 3yrs old and where tarped all summer / fall long. Plus Ive got another 5 cord that I spilt last late fall / winter that sat on the ground till mid sept. That 5 cords just got tarped on wed's. Ive got another 3 cords unspilt on the ground right now. I am waiting for winter to hit before I spilt it. This year weather was really screwy! One week it was hot and very dry, next week it was monson rains! Towards the end of summer, I had termits infest my firewood. I got it all under control, but the wet weather made them very active for where I live. Normally they are not a huge problem, but this year it was bad. I found a next of termits eating rail road ties! Hungry little buggers! LOL

Back